Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge

Author
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby Mastakilla » 25 Apr 2012, 21:27

Hehe! The ladies will know it doesn't take long for me to finish! Hah!

Wait what

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby chin.democ. » 25 Apr 2012, 23:03

System: Post deleted - Nothing to see here!

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby chin.democ. » 28 Apr 2012, 19:00

2 Megabytes in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Halfway Stage Private Feedback

Okay chaps, the judges are wanting to give mappers involved in the challenge some one on one private feedback on their maps as the half way stage approaches. So far we have a couple of mappers wanting this feedback, if you would like some private guidance from the judges (which is very worth it!) then please send your map via personal message to ([FACE]) here - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=650 (click on send private message).

It's ofcourse still not too late to join the challenge as you still have one month to go until the deadline of June 1st to come up with a fight map under 2 megabytes!

Edit: Updated map pictures.

Face
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby Face » 30 Apr 2012, 01:44

As we approach the halfway point for the 2 MB Mapping Challenge I just wanted to say well done to everyone who has entered so far. The screenshots all look great and I can't wait to go through each and every map in detail.

Don't forget if anyone wants me to take a brief look at their map for general feedback at this point in the competition then now is the time to do it, just PM me at the link Chin gave above.

Good luck everybody!

Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby 666 » 04 May 2012, 15:59

"this mapping Challenge is for 0augs/augs or altfire ?"

~[RTK]FEAR~ wrote:i had a go at people like 666 for ladderbugging, a perfect example of me trying to tell the guy to learn to play

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ShadowRunner » 04 May 2012, 16:22

any gametype!

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Chees » 06 May 2012, 00:37

[FGS]Kalman wrote:What? If you use the original textures too, it will goes above 2mb (because the 2mb is the map+textures+sounds+music)

Is this right? So my map is 2mb (and it is) then texture file's are 5mb and music file 3mb all in all 10mb zip file. is this not allowed the whole thing map txt and music have to add up to no more than 2mb's?

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby anax » 06 May 2012, 03:10

well I'm about halfway in the map now and I hit 540kb. (98% of geometry done - begun to add lights, items and bots) so the data will increase once i add everything necessary for playability - tho i don't know by how much xD

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ShadowRunner » 06 May 2012, 13:32

[FGS]Chees wrote:
[FGS]Kalman wrote:What? If you use the original textures too, it will goes above 2mb (because the 2mb is the map+textures+sounds+music)

Is this right? So my map is 2mb (and it is) then texture file's are 5mb and music file 3mb all in all 10mb zip file. is this not allowed the whole thing map txt and music have to add up to no more than 2mb's?

Yes, Chinny doesn't like packages :D

It's a challenge with discipline, file size is absolute.

The idea behind this challenge is meant to focus mappers on problem-solving to specific criteria.

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 06 May 2012, 13:56

Yeah, be careful with the packages ;)

deadmau5 is Canada's apology for Justin Bieber!!
chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby chin.democ. » 06 May 2012, 14:17

-aNax°NKz- wrote:well I'm about halfway in the map now and I hit 540kb. (98% of geometry done - begun to add lights, items and bots) so the data will increase once i add everything necessary for playability - tho i don't know by how much xD

As your map is quite smallish try not to have any areas that are empty, try and break up any long stretches of dull wall with some lights or pipes or shadows even.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby anax » 06 May 2012, 15:40

ye lol, in total I think it's larger than Smuggler, there's three height levels each with a number of rooms - but all packed into an area only 90% that of Smuggler.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby chin.democ. » 06 May 2012, 18:45

Ah so it's bigger then I thought, DXMP_Smuggler is pretty big really when you think about it.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby anax » 06 May 2012, 20:17

yeah, I think Silo only feels bigger because it's an (outside) map - there is the illusion of distance created by the skybox.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Chees » 11 May 2012, 00:35

Mastakilla wrote:I do hope that the 2.6mb is with the textures and stuff included? Because the entire package wasn't supposed to be >2mb, not just the map itself right?

I hope you can get it down to 2mb, this seems like a good contender.

Especially liking the exterior, very nice

I'm not sure as I didn't understand Shadows response when I asked this question! again I will ask then. My map is 2MB size bang on what the rules are asking. So I add the map file at 2MB size to a zip folder along with custom textures and music needed to host and or play the map which brings the total MB zip file to a total of 6MB ready to upload for everyone. Is this wrong?? the map is 2MB but the textures and music files bring it to 6MB total for the overall zip file! Is the whole map+textures+music+sounds overall zip file have to be 2MB?

If this is true then I will have to abandon this challenge as I have no way of bringing the overall zip+textures+music zip file down to 2MB...not a chance in hell it would bring the overall zip file size down!

Return to Deus Ex