Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge

Author
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 11 May 2012, 10:31

It's not about the size of the zip. It's about how much generic players have to download (uncomressed data) when joining a server.
So yeah, this means 2MB alltogether.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Chees » 11 May 2012, 14:15

Dammit this is testing my patience! so I have to get 7.30mb zip down to 2mb, some lone textures are in order instead of the full packages where I only used 1 texture out of 50 :smt021 :-D

Majster
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Poland

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby Majster » 11 May 2012, 14:20

[FGS]Chees wrote:Dammit this is testing my patience! so I have to get 7.30mb zip down to 2mb, some lone textures are in order instead of the full packages where I only used 1 texture out of 50 :smt021 :-D

So, you should make new packages with textures which are used by you or use default textures. ;)

ShadowRunner wrote:There's paranoia and anger everywhere about fps, people are taking 0a FAR too seriously, liven the game up and make it more fun for EVERYONE. (and me and Chees lol)
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Chees » 11 May 2012, 14:30

yep it's the way to go 8-)
Kalman I think it's a good idea for v2 maps after this challenge with no limit rules to show each map it's full potential. Then again if the maps are done good enough from start and in the right way a v2 shouldn't be necessary ;-)

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ShadowRunner » 11 May 2012, 15:55

Judges are a bit confused.

You've posted that you've sent your map to Face, but he hasn't received it. I've only seen the early version so can not help you either.

About 2mb rules.

Reading the competition rules posted on page 1.
Maps must be no bigger than 2 Megabytes (2048 Kilobytes).

It does not say package, it says map. So in that sense, you can argue that you are free to add as many packages as you like. It's an error. It should read "package total = 2mb", not "map total = 2mb".

But then on first page a conversation between Poor and Chinny?
Chinny wrote:I would say 2 megs in total so probably not a good idea to have custom packages! Two months for two megs of work is accessible to even the laziest of mappers.

If I was asked the meggage limit, I've always said 2mb and I think I've used the term meggage, not package or map, however I was unaware of the error in the rules, that the rules were not matching Chinny's statements in posts. Going by the rules, it is only saying your map needs to be 2mb. Maybe a public version and a challenge version?

My own view on packages are that they are dangerous if mappers choose generic names like "bunkers" or "memorial" or "helipad". However since modding is not only brushwork, I feel mappers should gain practice and experience with using packages and creating textures, music and etc. Why not? However my views are irrelevant because this contest is specifically a challenge by a mapper who doesn't like packages and huge filesizes and is challenging you to deal with the problem of delivering a fight map in less than 2mb. Both disciplines are equally useful. Cozmo RPG mapping involves something similiar, making an entire building with 250kb, so it's good practice to be creative within a framework for a change.

From this, I think there should be a 248kb challenge and also perhaps a free-range challenge, for any map not just fight ones.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby chin.democ. » 11 May 2012, 17:36

For clarification I will say 2 Megabytes is the total for all the files handed over to the judges on or before June 1st. Separating one texture from your texture package is a great idea Chees.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Chees » 11 May 2012, 18:24

ok thanks for clearing that up everyone. I managed to replace and make the package to 334KB from 5MB! now to get the map under 2MB :-D

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby chin.democ. » 11 May 2012, 18:28

You're not the only one struggling to get under 2 megs believe you me! :-D

Closest to 2048 kilobytes deserves a bravery (or stupidity) medal!

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ShadowRunner » 11 May 2012, 18:30

You could probably export the one texture into photoshop and reduce it from 256 pixels to 128 or even 64, if it will import.

Also I suspect importing to "Mylevel" will reduce total meggage also, rather than creating a separate package for just one texture.

Also I just want to re-iterate what Nobody said, that using brush sizes of 2 is risky. Use no less than 4 if you want a smooth ride.
The only exception might be the actual rungs of a ladder, depending on how you make ladders. Generally speaking, most detail can be done with 4 units sized brushes. I have no idea if it is true or not, but I figure since it is powers of 2, that 4 is a safe minimum, since people might be using 3rd button down and therefore doubling their chances of screwing up, it's better to double brush size to compensate for that. This works for me. Hengsha is going to be at least 20mb and not a single bug right now.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 12 May 2012, 20:14

Especially on decoorative elements, you're in danger to rush below the 4 unit grid scale.
If it can't be avoided, I suggest to transform the decorative elements by all means into semi-solids, because they don't cause fractions to the homogeneity of the BSP tree.

Oh and Rollo, I'm sure you would win an upcoming 20MB mapping challenge with your Hengsha project. :-D

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ShadowRunner » 13 May 2012, 02:51

You mean 40mb map challenge, perhaps :D
I estimate Chinny's Docks plus areas will be around 10-15 and I'm estimating somewhere between 15-25. Somewhere at least 25mb perhaps. Since you're in agreement, I'm even more convinced that going lower than 4 units is bad news. I also think there is only a certain number of times you can use 3rd button down de-intersection button thingy before there's guarantee of trouble. But using that button is pretty unavoidable at some point sooner or later. The reason I think it is trouble, because the mapper doesn't mathematically calculate his brush angles and even if he did, he would not be able to achieve them with total accuracy.

It will be interesting to see who comes in closest to 2047kb.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Chees » 13 May 2012, 03:11

2,954KB atm. Think I have that nailed to 2047KB very soon Shadow no give or take :-D I noticed that UED1 save file size is always bigger than the UED2 save file size....bonus. where is UED version 34 when you need it :wink:

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 13 May 2012, 09:03

If you really can't reduce the size, set the slider at 10 in BSP (very risky, you can get many BSP holes, if you aren't lucky)

deadmau5 is Canada's apology for Justin Bieber!!
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 13 May 2012, 10:06

A rebuild from scratch might help too.
e.g. copy all actors brushes, select new map, paste it and rebuild.
That was also the way, I fixed most of the duplicative brushes on your trial map, Chees.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby ShadowRunner » 13 May 2012, 16:00

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:A rebuild from scratch might help too.
e.g. copy all actors brushes, select new map, paste it and rebuild.
That was also the way, I fixed most of the duplicative brushes on your trial map, Chees.

This.

I forgot about that. I usually right click one of the brushes first and I've never tried pasting everything at once.

I have until June 1st to figure why, having fixed my drive not being detected, it still asks me to insert the CD/DVD and no CD fix doesn't work. I think all my spare DVD's are in another city right now. Might just have to buy one, but I will be miffed if it doesn't fix it. I've done every fix recommended except the registry edit, which I'm reluctant to do. According to some people, it might be an issue with hewlett packard conflicting with Vista. I do have HP printer, but the DVD is hitachi.

Return to Deus Ex