2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge

Author
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge - Postby chin.democ. » 01 Apr 2012, 16:45

2 Megabytes in 2 months Mapping Challenge 1st April - 1st June 2012

I propose a mapping challenge which requires the mapper to complete a DXMP map which is less than 2 megabytes within 2 months!

Rules

- Map Challenge is open to everyone.
- Maps must be no bigger than 2.00 Megabytes, this limit includes any custom packages.
- Maps must be handed in on (or before) the 1st June 2012 for judging.
- Maps must be started from scratch.
- Maps should be fighting maps and not fun maps.
- Maps should be unprotected and released to the community.
- Maps shall have their own thread here on Gravity-World and should contain updates and pictures.

Judges [(FACE)] and Shadowrunner will judge (rated from from 1 to 10) the following criteria;

- Looks
- Originality
- Playability
- Atmosphere
- Technical Complexity
- Lighting
- Sounds

Entrants People who have entered (or possibly?) so far;

Anax √
Atrey
Chees √
Chinny √
Cozmo √
Duke √
Fisk?
HDD21
Kalman √
Magus?
Majster √
Sheeklouch?
Ste?

Mappers have made threads entitled "2 MB Mapping Challenge" followed by their name and are posting updates and pictures.

Pictures Latest pictures of entries;

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

If you are interested in joining please post in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3450

Last edited by chin.democ. on 01 Jun 2012, 22:20, edited 31 times in total.
Reason: Stickied for 60 days
[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: 2 Megabyte Mapping Challenge [Proposal] - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 01 Apr 2012, 16:53

I want to be a judge, but I want to make a map too, is that possible??
Any other criterias? Theme, size etc.

deadmau5 is Canada's apology for Justin Bieber!!
chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 Megabyte Mapping Challenge [Proposal] - Postby chin.democ. » 01 Apr 2012, 17:19

It would be nice to have very varied and different maps to one another so any theme should be good I think, so it's more fun then competitive if that makes sense.

Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: 2 Megabyte Mapping Challenge [Proposal] - Postby Poor » 01 Apr 2012, 17:51

By map size, is it the size of the dx file? Or does it include texture packs and other custom stuff.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 Megabyte Mapping Challenge [Proposal] - Postby chin.democ. » 01 Apr 2012, 18:10

I would say 2 megs in total so probably not a good idea to have custom packages! Two months for two megs of work is accessible to even the laziest of mappers. :-D

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 Megabyte Mapping Challenge [Proposal] - Postby ShadowRunner » 01 Apr 2012, 18:39

That's the only part I doubt, 4 weeks is not a lot of time for a really good idea and really good execution. We will see, I hope it gets a good response. Hopefully it's enough time. From now until summer there's exams for a lot of people.

Also, how are you going to judge "complexity". Do you mean "technique/skills"? The best ideas are the most simple and least complex ones. So there's a bit of a contradiction going on. Are we judging mapping skills or maps? Sometimes we are judging skills rather than popularity of maps, some badly made maps are the "best" maps, it's the players not SDK experts, who decide. I don't see complexity as a positive thing. It also makes the contest a bit unfair, beginner mapper with fewer skills has less chance of being complex than a seasoned vet of SDK.

Also, I suppose I should ask. Why 2mb? What's the reason behind that limit? Since fun maps are disallowed, there's very little gametype left within 2mb, augged map would have to be tiny and therefore probably suffer in gameplay. Maybe run 3 contests or change the limit, or explain why mappers can only use 2mb.

As for judges, howbout some audience participation. Host all the entrants with mapvote.

My proposal would be if having 2mb limit, have other categories, have a 5mb limit and a fun map category too.

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: 2 Megabyte Mapping Challenge [Proposal] - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 01 Apr 2012, 19:01

I think you should judge the layout, gameplay, technique etc.
I have some ideas for a map, but I think most of them will go over 2048KB
Oh, and which section do we have to post the map? And are there any prefixes for the topics' name?
If you have enough time and idea, you can make the map within 11 days or less (and if u r not lazy)

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 Megabyte Mapping Challenge [Proposal] - Postby chin.democ. » 01 Apr 2012, 20:09

I'll take out the complexity rating, the two meg limit is just to get mappers thinking carefully about their maps and makes it seem less daunting for those wanting to enter. We can have threads like "2MB Mapping Challenge - Kalman"

I like the idea of hosting the maps on a 2MB Mapping Challenge Server, yeah that would be cool. But I think we still need judges to make it interesting, perhaps Shadow you can be a judge? I think perhaps the time can be extended to 2 months, that way we have a nice "2 megs in two months challenge" that rolls off the tongue. :matrix:

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge [WIP] - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 01 Apr 2012, 20:59

I'll start to plan the map tomorrow, and maybe I'll make the topic in this week :)

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge [WIP] - Postby [FGS]Chees » 01 Apr 2012, 23:11

I would like to join in this but my time is being taken up by several other maps ATM! I will watch the posts on this as it progresses :) unless an April fools then well done! You won't be the first to prank me today like my dad did!

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge [WIP] - Postby chin.democ. » 01 Apr 2012, 23:51

Post here if anyone is interested in making a 2meg map, we need at least one more person.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge [WIP] - Postby ShadowRunner » 02 Apr 2012, 01:51

I'm honoured and accept. I will be as objective as possible. Due to real life and dx backlog, it makes sense to judge rather than enter. It's exciting, DXMP_Ratesc came out of the last contest, so it was well worth it. I'll see if I can host the server, since I get half price with GD. Good luck mappers. If you need this announced on other forums, let me know.

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge [WIP] - Postby ~DJ~ » 02 Apr 2012, 12:47

I'll be glad to become one of the judges.

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge [WIP] - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 02 Apr 2012, 16:01

Maybe you should post it on more forums?
Btw can I make the thread about my plans?

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: 2 MB's in 2 months Mapping Challenge [WIP] - Postby chin.democ. » 02 Apr 2012, 20:28

Yes and yes, go for it!

Return to Deus Ex