Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Useful Math Formulas for Unreal Ed

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Useful Math Formulas for Unreal Ed - Postby TheWolf » 01 Nov 2012, 02:36

A lot of formulas really help in determining brush sizes, instead of build and guess. I'm not into that kind of math yet but I do know one, everyone else probably knows more.

Pythagorean Theorem - Use it to find a missing side of a right angle triangle. a² + b² = c²
Side C is always the hypotenuse (The longest side)

Ingame: Sev
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Useful Math Formulas for Unreal Ed - Postby ShadowRunner » 01 Nov 2012, 05:59

I have been wondering if autoCAD and Parametric modelling would be useful for SDK. Parametric modelling is old but only recently is being fully exploited by architects. The principle is I think, that the model recalculates for you and saves you huge time in reshaping something. I wondered if autoCAD could be used to create shapes that could be brushes.

Apparently mathematical solutions are not always good architectural solutions, because they are not the most economical.
A square shape offers less wastage than a triangle. I think SDK is similar for different reasons.

SDK has a problem when you suddenly add an 8 sided room to a 4 sided corridor, I think someone mentioned this just last week, it seems to have a problem with this. Yet our Hive bar has pentagonal chairs and SDK doesn't complain. If you knew some maths and also understood the engine and it's geometry, then literally you could play God.

I learned the hard way, by making a lot of maps and learning what was dangerous and what wasn't. I still have yet to actually trace a BSP source using the hourence tutorials. Most of the time the fix is to move objects relative to each other until the SDK is happy, it is rarely the object or shape itself, but how or where exactly it is interacting with the rest of the world. Maths was my weakest subject, these days I can understand some, but I am very slow.

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Useful Math Formulas for Unreal Ed - Postby Cozmo » 01 Nov 2012, 13:16

One thing I only learned recently (MASSIVE time saver) is you can put calculations in the brush dimensions window instead of having calculator open all the time!

I think this is like UED1 vertex editing; everyone knows and I'm the last to find out. :-({|=

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Useful Math Formulas for Unreal Ed - Postby Mastakilla » 01 Nov 2012, 19:15

Cozmo wrote:One thing I only learned recently (MASSIVE time saver) is you can put calculations in the brush dimensions window instead of having calculator open all the time!

I think this is like UED1 vertex editing; everyone knows and I'm the last to find out. :-({|=

I learned this recently aswell when I saw Magickilla doing it... haha, can't believe he taught me something.

Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Useful Math Formulas for Unreal Ed - Postby Magus » 02 Nov 2012, 00:34

Something I knew for a while, but rarely abused... ^^

-- Magus "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Return to Deus Ex