Map/music question

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Map/music question - Postby Whiplash » 20 Jan 2013, 02:18

Hi guys;

A long time ago, Karky's server's version of the map Karkys_Night Party had a much large range of music choices (at the moment it has 4) and one of them was a full music song (not an instrumental) from I think it was Linkin Park - Catalyst. How did they do that? I was under the impression that only old-ass instrumental formats like IT and XM could be put into UMX music files and used with DX.

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Map/music question - Postby [FGS]Chees » 20 Jan 2013, 05:20

Any sound on this planet can be recorded, edited and converted into a compatible Deus Ex format. It's the quality and length/size of the overall music file that is accepted when a player joins a server for the first time. No one wants to download a massive music file when joining a server.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Map/music question - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 20 Jan 2013, 18:41

Whiplash wrote:Hi guys;

A long time ago, Karky's server's version of the map Karkys_Night Party had a much large range of music choices (at the moment it has 4) and one of them was a full music song (not an instrumental) from I think it was Linkin Park - Catalyst. How did they do that? I was under the impression that only old-ass instrumental formats like IT and XM could be put into UMX music files and used with DX.
That's correct. However you can indirectly use waveform music by importing them into IT or XM files as single big samples.
As Chees stated, the files will become pretty big and eventually buggy.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: Map/music question - Postby ~DJ~ » 20 Jan 2013, 19:26

HELLO DEAR MODDER
CLICK HERE NOW AND GET ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTION FOR JUST $999.99 ONLY!
http://z14.invisionfree.com/DX_Mappers_ ... wtopic=171

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Map/music question - Postby Whiplash » 22 Jan 2013, 19:51

I tried it, made an .IT out of my favourite song. I had forgotten how inefficient PCM encoded Wave files are (my songs for the last 10+ years have been either MP3, WMA, OGM or ADPCM Wave). Turn of the millenium technology eh ](*,) :-&

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Map/music question - Postby Mastakilla » 22 Jan 2013, 21:14

I had tried to convert normal songs to put on DX maps, some turned out like 40mb, managed to get it down to 11-12mb somehow. Seen some other maps where songs were "only" 4-5mb. Either way it's not worth it, and while it may seem cool it doesn't usually fit well to have stuff like Linkin Park playing on a map, besides, it may put people off anyway. Not everyone likes Linkin Park :-D

(I realize LP was just an example)

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Map/music question - Postby ShadowRunner » 23 Jan 2013, 01:30

That sounds about right, 25% of original quality.

video2mp3.com and other sites like this are useful for getting the original tune into mp3 format from youtube. Then it's straightforwards wavepad then modplug. Danke wrote a tutorial which is still accessible, by googling "dxms danke tutorial", going via the site's portal won't show it I think.

We used raw .it files on Hengsha, but it seems to cause a lag, because the file is so huge when it loads.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Map/music question - Postby [FGS]Chees » 23 Jan 2013, 01:47

I found that having a chilling relaxing tune more useful in an RPG. A 6 min song @ 3MB or so and when it loops back players don't realize it.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Map/music question - Postby ShadowRunner » 23 Jan 2013, 02:05

[FGS]Chees wrote:I found that having a chilling relaxing tune more useful in an RPG. A 6 min song @ 3MB or so and when it loops back players don't realize it.

+1 million.

For me the best music in DX was Vandenberg, it's not really a song, but atmosphere/ambient noise.

It works on Hengsha too, the ambient stuff Jerion made is far more suitable than any of the fan edits.

Return to Deus Ex