Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

A source of new players that will surprise you.

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Jul 2013, 16:58

I've discovered that old games are frequented by the US prison population and that in one game, the prison population are a considerable portion of the total players.

There are 2.5 million people in US prisons. It is not clear how many of those access the internet and use computers, but that is a huge captive audience, if you pardon the pun. The main thing as well, it is a captive audience, meaning the competition we have is far less from other games, for a number of different reasons.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box and the solution is something that people would laugh at, but when you think about this, there are more and more reasons to consider this a serious marketing project.

Prisoners have their own media, networks and information systems, some are funded by charities, others by the state. This is not a stupid idea, when you think about it.

If only 0.01% of people take up the offer, that still is 10 times the current DX population, roughly speaking. You should at least consider this, it's not such a crazy idea at all. The other thing about prisoners, they have lots of time on their hands and can be recruited to the general DXMP effort as well.

I've watched prisoners playing another game, you wouldn't know they are prisoners, but that game does have a zero tolerance to bad language, disruption and so on. If a server can mute key words, since there is no vox, I don't see this as any problem to integrate the US prison population into Deus Ex.

The other key point of course, these people are used to old games already.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby synthetic » 28 Jul 2013, 20:19

DXMP players have threatened others with fun things such as getting shot in the face, getting shot on the street, getting shanked, getting stabbed with a screwdriver, getting neck broken, getting legs broken, getting beat up with big stick, getting beat up with several baseball bats -- among other, more creative suggestions.

These are normal DXMP players. You want ten thousand prisoners in DXMP with fucked up psyche?

Alvind
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Alvind » 28 Jul 2013, 21:51

Regardless of psyche, they are a player on the other side of the Internet that can cause no harm. So where does it matter where they are from? With abit of training they could become the perfect DXMPer.

@Shadowrunner, where could you progress from this idea?

Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Poor » 29 Jul 2013, 02:08

"Why do you guys keep voting for DXMP_JailBreak?"

Vexus
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Vexus » 29 Jul 2013, 02:49

Poor wrote:"Why do you guys keep voting for DXMP_JailBreak?"

baahahahahaah

ShadowRunner wrote:lolz, the mayhem of this thread is huge...

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Is there anything I can put in your mouth to make you stop talking rubbish? :-s

anax wrote:wow you are amazing. like this woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl4B9NA-NLE

[FGS]Kalman wrote:Lol I thought for 2-3 months everybody talks like a sir here, then I realised it's the forum's censorship

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Oh my god.. why are small minded people just so... SMALL MINDED! ](*,)
~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 29 Jul 2013, 06:08

Some day in some prison someone will invent a real super rocket. Then we will all remember this conversation.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 29 Jul 2013, 09:33

@Rollo: Your ability to put a certain quantity of information into as much text as possible is beyond any doubt. 8-[
So summarized..
ShadowRunner wrote:I've discovered that old games are frequented by the US prison population [...] it is a captive audience, [...] they have lots of time on their hands and can be recruited to the general DXMP effort [...]these people are used to old games already.

From the player amount, I agree.
However, even if it's just internetz, they could still negatively influence other players.
Furthermore it's a security risk. They could use the game platform for communication with other members of their criminal network.
Even if the transmitted data is scanned by the prison, they could pass messages by drawing scribbles or characters at a wall with the flamethrower for instance. :-k

Yes and..
~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:Some day in some prison someone will invent a real super rocket. Then we will all remember this conversation.
THIS.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
Friedman
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Friedman » 29 Jul 2013, 18:24

Poor wrote:"Why do you guys keep voting for DXMP_JailBreak?"

=D>

AceFighterz wrote:my bro is the king of warnings wow holy metabolic end product i wonder if a could compete against him
DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby DejaVu » 29 Jul 2013, 19:38

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:@Rollo: Your ability to put a certain quantity of information into as much text as possible is beyond any doubt. 8-[
So summarized..

sr is like politicians - talking much, but doing nothing

sr, when are you coming to skype, like you promised to me months ago already? ^^

~Blade~
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ~Blade~ » 30 Jul 2013, 18:39

he'll meet you in dx, since he's in prison. :D

TétrãHýdrøÇäññÂßîñø£

Mastakilla wrote:If you bring even a thousand players to DX I will come over and suck your male sex organ.
I really will.

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:...you're doing the best to decrease my rationality at the moment.

jager774 wrote:He starts a fight and blames you for starting it and bitching on it. OKAY KEN.
~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 30 Jul 2013, 22:31

I think a prison that grants inmates access to the Internet has got security and secret messaging all figured out, the one and only actual threat is still the super rocket.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ShadowRunner » 01 Aug 2013, 14:50

Noodz wrote:However, even if it's just internetz, they could still negatively influence other players.
Furthermore it's a security risk. They could use the game platform for communication with other members of their criminal network.
Even if the transmitted data is scanned by the prison, they could pass messages by drawing scribbles or characters at a wall with the flamethrower for instance.

Lol Nobody. The US prison service has this covered. They may not even be allowed to play it, because of gore, detention facilities, low numbers, storyline, I can think of lots of reasons why it could be disallowed. Aces High has no blades, gore, civilians. The most anti-social thing you can do, is drop bomb on a town (prepping for ground assault).

Explain me, why would a prisoner bother with a flamethrower and illuminati secret messages on walls, when he can simply knock on the prisoner's door and speak to him, or if in another prison, write him a coded letter, private message him or use vox channel. The US prison service obviously monitors all this. If prisoners wanted to use DXMP for ciminality, they would be using it already. In Aces High, you can only detect a prisoner when someone informs you there is one.

If there was any security risk at all, the US prison service wouldn't allow it. Having watched prisoners play a game, all I can say is that it is undetectable to other users, that there is zero discussion about prison, crime or anything that could harm others. You do realize in the US, people go to prison for debt and smoking marijuana, it's not all like Hannibal Lecter. You're looking at this the wrong way, prisoners are going to be the MOST well-behaved players imo.

(Deja, that was a jerk-type comment. I haven't "done nothing" and what I did do, I made sure it helped bring a few single player people and modders into DXMP, like Simon, Alvin, Proto, etc. I seem to remember your project having the opposite effect and people leaving DXMP, not joining. As for talking, that's your issue, you're convinced always you are right and don't discuss, you're uncompromising, can be unpleasant to work for and patronizing, you don't appreciate what people are doing for you, but actually you don't always think things through.)

If not this captive audience, you will need one.

You also might want to look at raising the average age in the game to one which reflects the actual content, which is mature/18+. If you want to argue about that, then justify your decision not to.

You also might want to consider other communities, likely to be using PCs instead of consoles. I can think of a few.

THC Mario
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Croatia

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby THC Mario » 01 Aug 2013, 18:03

but prisoners spend 23 hours a day locked up in a cell. Without internet.

There is no I in suck, only U
>> THC clan <<
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby ShadowRunner » 01 Aug 2013, 22:20

THC Mario wrote:but prisoners spend 23 hours a day locked up in a cell. Without internet.

Lolz, maybe on death row or some violent wing.

I'm not going to argue it. Just an example of how communities exist that use PC games entirely.

Majestic
Behemoth
Behemoth

Nationality:
Netherlands

Re: A source of new players that will surprise you. - Postby Majestic » 02 Aug 2013, 11:22

synthetic wrote:DXMP players have threatened others with fun things such as getting shot in the face, getting shot on the street, getting shanked, getting stabbed with a screwdriver, getting neck broken, getting legs broken, getting beat up with big stick, getting beat up with several baseball bats -- among other, more creative suggestions.

These are normal DXMP players. You want ten thousand prisoners in DXMP with fucked up psyche?

Not every prisoner has a fucked up psyche. And not every DXMP player does those things.
Regardless, I think it would be a good thing if prisoners were allowed to play to this game. New players can only benefit this community, because, let's face it, DXMP is as good as dead.

Shadowrunner wrote:I impersonated myself today...

Return to Deus Ex