Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Adding windows to doors...

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Adding windows to doors... - Postby ShadowRunner » 27 Aug 2013, 01:52

TheWolf wrote:What's the proper way to add unbreakable windows on doors without the weird invisible spot where the brush meets the door frame itself? I remember someone telling me there was an effect that fixed it.

I took the liberty of re-posting the question here, as I rarely make them in movers. I would use transparent window from add special and I don't know of any effect which fixes "bsp" like issues.

Alvind
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby Alvind » 27 Aug 2013, 17:05

Make it semi solid if its just a little window.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 27 Aug 2013, 18:42

ShadowRunner wrote:
TheWolf wrote:What's the proper way to add unbreakable windows on doors without the weird invisible spot where the brush meets the door frame itself? I remember someone telling me there was an effect that fixed it.

I took the liberty of re-posting the question here, as I rarely make them in movers. I would use transparent window from add special and I don't know of any effect which fixes "bsp" like issues.
You're referring of a window for transparency only or is it required to be breakable too?

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby atrey65789 » 28 Aug 2013, 06:13

If ya wanna use some fancy sauce, you can have a door with a square hole in the top middle, then make a seperate glass mover, put it in the space, and set its attach tag to the door's tag. That way it will be more realistic for breaking-and-entering maps, break the door-window and unlock the door, know what I'm saying?

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Aug 2013, 17:19

Alvind wrote:Make it semi solid if its just a little window.

In a mover?

Alvind
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby Alvind » 28 Aug 2013, 20:07

Yeah just make the window a semi solid and a door a solid before you intersect it all. Then create mover etc

Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby Magus » 28 Aug 2013, 22:20

My method of preference (because I'm a nub) was to shrink the 'window' part of the door brush by a unit so the edges of it don't touch the frame...

-- Magus "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't"
Alvind
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby Alvind » 29 Aug 2013, 01:05

That would also work, done that before :-D not great if its a dark coloured glass tex

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby synthetic » 29 Aug 2013, 07:14

Magus wrote:My method of preference (because I'm a nub) was to shrink the 'window' part of the door brush by a unit so the edges of it don't touch the frame...

And that allows one to surprise players with funky snipes ;D I also found a way other than crosshair colour to scan for that opening: Light augmentation, it passes through the small hole if your crosshair is in the right position. :alc:

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby ShadowRunner » 29 Aug 2013, 13:56

not possible to have breakable window inside unbreakable door, if it swings I guess, but you could have actual glass in some types of door/portal I guess.

atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby atrey65789 » 29 Aug 2013, 14:10

ShadowRunner wrote:not possible to have breakable window inside unbreakable door, if it swings I guess, but you could have actual glass in some types of door/portal I guess.

It's not inside, when you make the door, you leave a square hole in the top half, that's where the window goes.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby ShadowRunner » 30 Aug 2013, 15:23

ye my bad, incorrect use of English.

Who needs windows anyway, we want traps and surprises!!!

Magus
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby Magus » 31 Aug 2013, 21:33

synthetic wrote:
Magus wrote:My method of preference (because I'm a nub) was to shrink the 'window' part of the door brush by a unit so the edges of it don't touch the frame...

And that allows one to surprise players with funky snipes ;D I also found a way other than crosshair colour to scan for that opening: Light augmentation, it passes through the small hole if your crosshair is in the right position. :alc:

Hey, if you can aim through a half unit gap to pick someone off through a door, more power to you. The majority wouldn't be able to do that, though :D

That said, one could easily make a recess such that the window brush could fill the whole frame without 'glitching' and without being able to shoot through it...

-- Magus "There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't"
Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Adding windows to doors... - Postby Whiplash » 01 Sep 2013, 15:54

True, but then as said you risk creating sniping holes, but there are ways around it, if you're perpared to use multiple brushes and work at 1 Grid Level, but my solution is difficult to explain.

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:

Return to Deus Ex