Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Altfire maps

Author
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Altfire maps - Postby [FGS]Chees » 14 Oct 2013, 02:16

Altfire server maps need changing, the more maps to choose from the better IMO. whack Packman map on the list and whack them all on the list tbh give the players what they want and a chance to choose them. same old maps are boring. Chinney's office map will work well on Altfire why not give all this a go it cant get any worse on the server and amount of players!

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ShadowRunner » 16 Oct 2013, 20:04

Shot0096.jpg
Shot0096.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 21281 times
Shot0088.jpg
Shot0088.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 21281 times

I liked the RX lams, don't see why we don't have them as standard in DXMP to be honest.

Edit:

Chees, I made this map specifically for altfire. I based it on a sci-fi movie, it has cool lighting, nice details, high ceilings so people can jump about. Face made one of the rooms using 3d editor, the map also has a little bit of the music from the movie.
Ppl liked the map, and we had spent a bit of time on it, making sure it would be suitable for altfire, but this map got removed. Instead some old 0-aug maps were put up instead. I kind of take this as an insult and an indication that I was wasting my time. As it happened people did complain about the replacements and 0-aug maps.

People said they wanted to avoid the dxms syndrome, but that is exactly what happened, it wasn't left to the voting to decide if people liked the map, instead there was intervention by one person. It's exactly the dxms situation all over again.

This is why I don't map for altfire anymore, because the public or statistics aren't deciding, it's down to one or two people. I found it quite insulting to be honest to make something specifically for altfire, to be replaced by old 0-aug maps, that people then complained about.

That's what sad about it. Call me troublemaker if you want, but this is a fair and square report of exactly what happened. So pardon me for the lack of enthusiasm in your topic.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 17 Oct 2013, 07:50

[FGS]Chees wrote:Altfire server maps need changing, the more maps to choose from the better IMO. whack Packman map on the list and whack them all on the list tbh give the players what they want and a chance to choose them. same old maps are boring. Chinney's office map will work well on Altfire why not give all this a go it cant get any worse on the server and amount of players!

Yes, those maps were removed because they were voted all the time. I know, the logic of removing favourite maps seems to be paradox. However, humans are creatures of habits. When favourite maps keep getting voted, other maps don't have a chance to become favourite.
Nevertheless.. minding the low activity on altfire, we could consider adding pacman and 8red again.. :?

@Rollo: TROUBLEMAKER! :-({|=

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ShadowRunner » 20 Oct 2013, 22:48

Yes I understand Nobody, but Bioweapon was not "voted all the time", it had barely been finished and released, very few people got to see it, that is all I am saying, it's best not to fall in to the trap of mentally deciding a result on a map, rather than seeing what the public think about a map, that is all I was saying.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Altfire maps - Postby chin.democ. » 21 Oct 2013, 11:24

The most popular maps on Altfire in recent times were maps like Abandoned and Pacman if my memory serves.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 21 Oct 2013, 11:50

ShadowRunner wrote:Yes I understand Nobody, but Bioweapon was not "voted all the time", it had barely been finished and released, very few people got to see it, that is all I am saying, it's best not to fall in to the trap of mentally deciding a result on a map, rather than seeing what the public think about a map, that is all I was saying.
This is the first time, that you mention this map in my presence. Also this map does NOT exist on altfire at all. It's not even in the folder of not-used maps.
Pass me a copy and I'll add it.

@Chin: So we should add the maps again?

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Altfire maps - Postby chin.democ. » 21 Oct 2013, 13:09

It can't hurt can it, we need to focus on getting numbers in at the moment perhaps?

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ShadowRunner » 22 Oct 2013, 00:03

chin.democ. wrote:The most popular maps on Altfire in recent times were maps like Abandoned and Pacman if my memory serves.

Yes let's analyze this. ALPHABETICAL MAP VOTING!!!! Abandoned is only going to lose to DXMP_Aardvark

Pacman really divided ppl at times, out of 4 spawns, 1 didn't have a shock rifle or pulse gun I think. It was definitely complained about as a map by a variety of FGS members. Skyline was a map that divided people.

DXSG_CMD, Proteus, there are plenty of other altfire maps, which receive no complaints at all. When you view things from all angles, you get actually a moderate and balanced result, not extremes of size like Skyline or Pacman. I'm against slapping too many 0-aug and tiny maps on, because that is what you have everywhere else in DXMP already, altfire was always different from Godz, GM, DXMS, surely low grav maps are required.

You don't have Skyline or DXSG_CMD or even Proteus on those servers, so I would do really what Chees said, sometime in future, have lots of maps and let people choose. Some people think less is more, and I agree, but servers aren't full and it's not so hectic these days that you can't scroll a little.

I see the altfire collection as two categories, those maps that annoy some people, and those maps that generally don't annoy most people. Some maps need editing, some maps could be edited. Ultimately it's about what free time, money and energy people have. I'm fairly limited until December.

@Nobody, I don't think you removed it, I think someone else did, or it was never uploaded perhaps, I don't know or remember why, sounds like it never was. When I can access the map on my old HDD, I would definitely like to see it on altfire, if that is ok, it's not the best map in the world, but it's interesting and fits with tnag, I can edit it if it's going to be hosted.

Chinny wrote:It can't hurt can it, we need to focus on getting numbers in at the moment perhaps?

off-topic slightly, I was thinking of having a default wep version of WW2 maps pack and a Clyzm version of WW2 maps pack and putting on moddb so interested parties can just host these mods themselves. Howbout SG, is there a page on moddb?
There is an FGS page on moddb, maybe we should put mods/map packs up, the competition map pack from last year etc. And then put up different tnag map map packs too. This might interest ppl to host, the way you got that games site interested. I would add Hengsha, but I need Poor's permission to make it a download on moddb.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Oct 2013, 00:35

Having played a couple of days, Altfire seems pretty busy and pretty noob-free. I see why Chees made the request, except for Imperator all the DXMP maps are not really futuristic. I notice absence of Amtrak and Proteus. I noticed that quite a few maps were very similar, e.g. sillyfortress, abandoned, prodigy, cargoyard are all fairly similar maps in some ways, and there is a prevalence of them, while there's fewer maps like Imperator or Proteus.

I noticed also that the complaints about some maps, are in fact due to the extra tnag weps, not the map itself. Seems bio-rifle in particular is controversial, with strong feelings on both sides.

off-topic slightly, I thought the DXAG server was pretty good, except Lukas should get a ban. Also it seems to be hosting the old version of DXAG with the one-shot kill medic. What I liked was the mapvoting, seems to work better than rotation for DXAG.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 28 Oct 2013, 09:38

Oh noes.. not that old/new version debate of DXAG again. ](*,)
That is the official and ONLY version 3 of ArxGenus, we got.
I also remember, there was another version 3, or maybe it was a patch for version 3 which capped the medic.
However, it disappeared. I don't know where it went to.

@altfire:
Extra tnag weapons?
Isn't bio rifle standard? :?

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Oct 2013, 11:36

Yes I would agree, any tnag wep is a tnag wep.

People got used to the tnag weps that were only on wep racks, then we discovered that people wanted sabot, grav rifle, biorifle etc, so we added them. It does seem to influence mapvoting, but as you can see Prodigy is the about minimum size for a map with biorifle. I don't find it a problem as there are a million bots and medkits on that map, it's more the fact that it has only 2 spawns like the CS version (so people know which spawn to plaster with bio), something which Chees is addressing in his 2013 version of Prodigy, there should be 4 spawns in future.

Ok so we definitely don't have this reduced medic then. There's plenty of ways to kill a medic however.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ShadowRunner » 01 Nov 2013, 11:26

8red,
skyline,
house arrest,
rattery park
dxmp_cmd_thedayafter

just listing altfire maps that aren't there, not complaining.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Altfire maps - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 01 Nov 2013, 12:33

Okay, I've added the first four maps of your list.
Let's see what happens.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Altfire maps - Postby [FGS]Chees » 01 Nov 2013, 17:07

wooo some different maps. Cheers Nobody =D> :matrix:

Fear
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Altfire maps - Postby Fear » 03 Nov 2013, 22:33

Pacman
Abandoned
RTKM_Spirit

all great fun maps for altfire who agrees on having these?

2004-2014

Return to Deus Ex