Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Solution to keep MP going (I hope)

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby ShadowRunner » 21 Apr 2014, 17:58

Well there are multiple gametypes with bots now... Hengsha, WW2, Cagematch among others.

The advantage with cagematch is that it is more varied and there is shopping, but the advantage with WW2 is that it is more constant and relies less on players not to be a male sex organ. Hengsha offers both, but with added features like driving and flying and some backstory and a city that will keep players busy for days. I imagine UR will do much the same. Arena Mod was fun and I would still play that, especially the bowens version was a lot of fun, vortex grenade!

Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby Cozmo » 23 Apr 2014, 18:35

I wanted to make some bots to act as players a few months back, just to keep people in servers and avoid awkward 2v1s, but people misunderstood me and thought I was trying to make all gametypes into RPG or PvE D: but yeah, the problem isn't just new players, but half of the existing players won't even bother to switch MS. Does anyone remember my rambling about a DXMP2 from two years ago? I'm starting to think that when I finish college for good in 6 weeks, I should just sign on and learn Unity inside out...

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby DejaVu » 23 Apr 2014, 21:50

My MS is back up: master.dxmp.in

Port for uplink: 27900
Port to obtain server list: 28900

We have a bit more than 1 month to distribute client-side mod that supports multiple servers. Brenden is working on self-installer that installs this mod painlessly with single click. But what I suggest is to add more masterservers in. Currently there are 3 (gs, mine and HDDs). We need redundancy. Dead masterservers will not slow down loading of servers. I made it that way. So, additional 5 masterservers can be added in.

Brenden also figured that you can actually open browser window from the in game by console command (didn't know this). So, we will put up server soon that will make procedure of updating dxmp quite simple&easy.

Now, after thinking carefully; what we can do is following; the client-side mod reports itself to server. We can make mod or even mutator that sits on top of current mods (DXMTL&others) for servers and detects whether joining player already has new multi-MS support. If not, it opens browser window so player can download. If we run this on most of servers for 1 month time until GS goes down, I believe 99% of current players will be ready to get servers from new masterservers.

I no longer play this game, but I did a lot of infrastructure so this transition can happen and be quite smooth for everyone. It is up to you now to just "support" it.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby ShadowRunner » 23 Apr 2014, 22:32

Cheers.

So players on Steam in future could click on a link and download a patch or visit a particular server.

I can type in a IP address in multiplayer's server list, but is that because I have DXMTL or MTL or is it default?

If it was default, then Steam players could know an IP and that server (like Brendan's) automatically help them fix things and then find all the other servers?

About needing redundancy, what do you need to make a masterserver, or should that be a separate topic.

DejaVu
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby DejaVu » 24 Apr 2014, 00:04

Basically, all you should do for now is to register a domain. You can put up masterserver later, or never.

If you can tell players to type in IP, you may aswell just give them URL from where to download the *patch*. It will be your job to spam around various forums and letting anyone know about this mod.

We should also put this mod on multiple URLs, various hosting websites and always provide all links when publishing on forums. You know, after several years, 90% of these URLs will be dead.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby ShadowRunner » 25 Apr 2014, 13:16

which is why if Steam or EM were in on this in future, the link might still be around. There is Deus Ex Central, blogs and other sites besides their main sites. Also they have DX forums. Also it looks like Alex or Deus Ex Net are not going anywhere.
Presumably there will be a site for DX Universe as well. If there is no proper SDK with DX Universe then there is no reason not to offer players the SDK with DX1 or patch them to multiplayer. Alex is giving a good opportunity to people to get involved in social media, PR and whatnot.

alfredo
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby alfredo » 01 May 2014, 19:04

If you guys do make the mod that allows multiple MSs, then I wouldnt mind hosting a master server along with my 2 servers i host for deus ex since all it really costs me is electricity.

It would probably help out if we could get Valve to at least announce the community mod on their deus ex page. And like others have said, distribute links to a compiled list of information about the new master server and mod to groups and forums.

I already have a domain for zxcclan.com so it probably wount be too much of an issue getting a backup MS going. Anyone know of a good tutorial for hosting the MS? I know HDD21 made a tutorial a few years back...i could probably find it.

It would also be a good idea to edit all those server hosting tutorials to include the new patch.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby ShadowRunner » 02 May 2014, 17:16

Sounds good, I got your pm about the Steam page, I'm sure someone here would be interested to help out.

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby machete » 05 May 2014, 00:47

This is *loving* terrible news.

We're boned. :(

atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby atrey65789 » 05 May 2014, 01:22

machete wrote:This is *loving* terrible news.

We're boned. :(

Nah, we got it. either way people will get some kind of patch.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby chin.democ. » 05 May 2014, 09:50

Those that want to keep playing will be able to do so Machete, just needs a little tweak.

DaniSaggenza
~ banhammered ~
~ banhammered ~

Nationality:
Sweden

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby DaniSaggenza » 05 May 2014, 14:51

DX is always dying but never dies. :wink:

alfredo
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby alfredo » 07 May 2014, 07:47

I've put up a masterserver using UCC incase u would like to add it to the mms mod.

master.zxcclan.com
listenport=27900
tcplink is 28900

The MS wount be too fast and the uptime wount be 100% since people sometimes reset the router, but as long as I'm alive ill make sure its up.

I still think that having the main reliable master server (master.deusexnetwork.com) is the best option untill Dejavus mod gets more exposure and becomes readily available (and even easier to install) such that a simple google search for "Deus Ex" shows a link to the patch or something like that.

atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby atrey65789 » 07 May 2014, 13:24

Excellent Alfredo! See we must advertise all of these!

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Solution to keep MP going (I hope) - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 07 May 2014, 22:01

alfredo wrote:[...] is the best option untill Dejavus mod gets more exposure

Why 'until'? :?

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!

Return to Deus Ex