Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

Big mapping project

Author
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

Big mapping project - Postby Kothar » 10 May 2006, 11:50

ok here's the thing..... i came up with am idea 4 a great map.... but i will require a person who can make a teleporter to oher maps i don't know how to do it or if it can even be dun but it will have to be 4 this map to live up to the name i am giving it ShadowRunner has aggreed to help me out maybe teach me a few things along the way but to make this map u will have to have me on MSN while u map so i can give u my ideas as they come, i have already come up witha basic picture in my head 4 wat the map should look lik in the end and i just need a few good mappers working togeather and to know if this map can be made it will be such an awsome map if it can be made it will also be a big map so it would probably have a max of 30 ppls so it may be to big a map 4 mp but i still wana do it, also after u aggree i will tell u all of my ideas and i don't mind if u guys have ideas the more ideas the better so just help me out plz..... c u all in DX

*cough* EDIT: and also i will need to know if there r modders who would lik to have a challenge cos for one of my ideas i need a mod almost lik the DXBOTS mod, b4 i give u the discription i want to know if u will do it first so if u want a challenge or 2 who ever it is it may not be a challenge but it is a good idea so if u want to be in on this project then u can be

"Without deviation progress is not possible"

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Y U GUIZ ALWAYYS KILL TEH HOOKERS IN MY BASE???!!
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

big Map - Postby ShadowRunner » 10 May 2006, 18:19

Kothar, I dont know if it is possible to teleport from map to map to MP.

If everyone already had the maps, maybe...if the server/s was/were set up to do it, run various maps and connect the players when they reached map exits or teleporters...

The great thing about Deus Ex was it's free-roaming cities and not level upon level fighting. So I like your idea a lot. I think players could transport from map to map by various means, they could fly in a chopper or drive a futuristic tank etc. I wonder if it would be possible to add cut scenes/movies of the journey between maps...

A project like that would require a team I guess...I'll help, I think MIB Dogboys and DXMS Reaction/Magus/John would help with what they could.
GODZ No Chance too and we'd make Nobody help, and of course FGS mappers...

Perhaps a "site" map sketch of the different map levels that would exist could be worked on and another team could work on how to connect MP players to different maps.

Maybe someone already has done this?

Reaction
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: big Map - Postby Reaction » 10 May 2006, 20:51

Kothar i didn't quite read your whole post, but I think I got the gist of it. You want to create a mod (doesnt matter what for) that will transport players between maps, like happens in the SP game. There are two projects that I know of that are currently trying to acheive this and probably many more that I don't know about. And why not? Its a good idea.

ShadowRunner wrote:A project like that would require a team I guess...I'll help, I think MIB Dogboys and DXMS Reaction/Magus/John would help with what they could.
GODZ No Chance too and we'd make Nobody help, and of course FGS mappers...

ShadowRunner, please don't put DXMS their like it is a clan. This would only lead to confusion and people thinking that DXMS is a clan when it is NOT. Just to clear that up. Also I am currently engaged in a sepperate mapping project aswell as my GCSE exams being only two weeks away. I think I will be a bit busy over the next few months.

Back to topic, I think transporting between maps in MP can work. I'm not too sure what is needed (if you need multiple servers or just one). From what i have gatherd some people think they can do it.

[align=center]
~ Chris ~ Reaction ~

Image[/align]
Kothar
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

- Postby Kothar » 10 May 2006, 21:28

and i have a few other mod ideas you know how the DXBOTS mod is? the way they made npc's attack everyone? what if we got JC in one place and simons in anoher and they attack one team simons attack NSF and JC attack UNATCO i think it may be dun but i am no modderso i dunno and ofcourse the mod that can teleport between maps BUT the problem with that is that i would be lik admin teleports maps if an admin server travels the conection is lost with te oher players... so we would need to fix that but we alll need to git on MSN and talk about it and voice our ideas and stuff so would it be possible to git a team of mappers working on it?

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Bots - Postby ShadowRunner » 11 May 2006, 00:47

Telling a bot what to do is very easy.
Just add a pawn>scripted pwn> human>choose your NPC.
Then right click on your NPC and properties come up.

Choose the inventory, alliances and attitudes and also fears and reactions and basically you have your character set up.

I have a Jock and Maggie which are invincible, aim for your head and hate each other...lol great practice bots. Maggie will chop you in half with a DTS when you run out of ammo too...

Reaction wrote:
ShadowRunner, please don't put DXMS their like it is a clan. This would only lead to confusion and people thinking that DXMS is a clan when it is NOT. Just to clear that up. Also I am currently engaged in a sepperate mapping project aswell as my GCSE exams being only two weeks away. I think I will be a bit busy over the next few months

I see what you mean ok...when I said help, I meant really discuss the issues in the forums like you do lalready, I was just listing ppl I know who readily offer help to other mappers...but sure np. DXMS ISNT A CLAN PPL

Last edited by ShadowRunner on 11 May 2006, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Kothar
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

- Postby Kothar » 11 May 2006, 00:48

cool ok msn? now? plz?

Kothar
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

- Postby Kothar » 12 May 2006, 21:17

yo ppls i need to know what modding programes there are im no sure if i want to be a mapper i think modding will be mor fun and i want to make a new set of weps 4 this map that haven't been seen b4 so plz answer

Kothar
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

- Postby Kothar » 16 May 2006, 16:01

you can link maps togeather with teleporters... i haven't read this site but i found it and it saied on link that u can!!!!!
go go go!

http://www.tack.planetdeusex.gamespy.co ... gMaps.html

this may be for single player i don't know......

m45t3rs4d0w8

- Postby m45t3rs4d0w8 » 18 May 2006, 02:12

It is only for SP. The linking maps and teleporting can be
found when you enter or leave a map on any SP level. Edit the SP game maps
to get an idea of how it works.

Kothar
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

- Postby Kothar » 18 May 2006, 03:02

i can't edit an sp map.... i can't open them in unreal

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 18 May 2006, 04:32

To be honest I am still new to mapping, I dont have such complex plans.

SP maps have a "map exit" you can place from "classes", in places...for example in 71_Canyon you ride a cable car to the edge of the map and there is a map exit and teleporter to the next map...

Hmm u cant open, guess you have clicked on "all files"?

Im still trying to make a battle map with zero lag...

VodunLoas

- Postby VodunLoas » 17 Jun 2006, 01:36

Teleporters work in mp. They can travel the player to another server. Open up a teleporter's properties, extend 'Teleporter' and for URL type the IP for the server it leads to. For example: DeusEx://71.245.189.82:7790.

That's it. I started a mod with [NSF]Ninja using this method a long time ago. Never got off to a good start. In my mod NEOCRON, we weren't using this. That mod is dead now also. :(

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 17 Jun 2006, 06:03

I think Vodun, you are Kothar's new best friend...How interesting...

And great to see you on FGS forums, I hope you are here to stay (in FGS) hehe...the FGS application thread is at the top of the page in case you can't find it.(well Icho is on holiday...and "go easy on Toss, he's just a noob")
Vodun's maps rock in case you didn't know already...
well this is just my opinion, go easy on me I'm just a noob too...

How interesting...if the maps are dl'd already this will work? I heard Area 51 and Denver Airport and Norad are connected by monorail, I could see a scenario like this, or various parts of the world being connected. You have to visit and fight in one city to gain an item, necessary to win the game in the next city...

Like DX...free-roaming, the choice is yours where to visit first etc...it's gonna be tough but if any could pull off a MP/SP project it is FGS now, with so many great mappers, including my glorious self...

Return to Deus Ex