Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue

Author
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby Alexander » 07 May 2014, 09:03

Yes, it should accept uplinks from any server.

Also, some information on coverage:
Only 3 gameservers are currently not uplinked to DeusExNetwork.
Deus Ex Gaming - www.deus-ex.net (both servers)
Oceanic Community Server

I tried contacting both serverhosters, but with no success so far. Maybe someone knows how to contact these hosters directly and can point them to http://www.deusexnetwork.com/masterserver ?

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby ShadowRunner » 07 May 2014, 11:07

The first ones are Deja Vu obviously. Judging by the ping, the second one, Oceanic looks very West Coast, even I am wondering if it is Echelon's server in Fiji.

I take Synthetic's points completely and was really just putting the questions out there, so at least all views have been discussed. People have given their opinion and the majority favour Alex's solution. IIRC Alex hosts Chinny's blog, so it can be used to make news and PR and then it's up to us to spread the word.

Deus Ex Multiplayer surviving Gamespy's demise would be the first bit of news. Interview Alex. Talk also about mods. Some videos like the neogaf Cozmo video of course. I believe Poor is committed to updating and finishing the Hengsha mod this year. Alex is providing the engine, but the fuel is your efforts to promote the game.

alfredo
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby alfredo » 07 May 2014, 19:50

Alexander wrote:Yes, it should accept uplinks from any server.

Also, some information on coverage:
Only 3 gameservers are currently not uplinked to DeusExNetwork.
Deus Ex Gaming - http://www.deus-ex.net (both servers)
Oceanic Community Server

Thats great news to hear

EDIT: I'll make sure to post about it agian to the deus ex group on steam when i get home tonight

HDD21
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby HDD21 » 08 May 2014, 19:32

Great work alex, i would suggest those in the know use deja's mod and add all masters such as 333's and mine, but for novices, this is better than nothing by far although what happens if they reinstall the game?! and does it edit default.ini as well as id assume not

My MS is going to be upgraded within a few days to a different application which does not have the nepthys bug, in the mean time I found a combination which is approving the most servers for now, then it will list all servers and this will be sorted before gamespy goes down. So any hosters or users of deja's mod. The bug in UCC is caused by the incorrect and differing validation key used by these different versions. I have been hosting an official unreal 227
master server for a year now.

Also master.oldunreal.com is using the same software as 333 so hosters should add this as well: master.oldunreal.com uplink port: 27900 query port is 28900

I will have my masterserver listing all servers thanks to poly and a couple of others by the end of the month, thanks to them helped us find out about the validation problems we were having. I am also helping with the security testing.

Have contacted redfire today to see if he cannot add master.deusexnetwork.com as a CNAME for master.fragaholic.com so all hosters uplink to that by default...? EDIT: he already has for a week already

I don't see why and i discussed this with dr flay but we are unsure what to do as of yet... we could not contact glu mobile and see if as a gesture of goodwill they could add a CNAME for master0.gamespy.com to point to 333 networks however we are unsure where to proceed on that front, but its an idea I put on the table as well.

Will be as active as possible, have been working quite a bit although am in the 333 networks IRC often. I am happy to add anyone from the community on kik messenger, I will PM it to you as my telephone is the best way to reach me.

EDIT: Now I am no longer using UCC my options are open significantly, this will now work for any game on the unreal engine although the application I am using I am helping test for security This means, that the ports are the unreal default, so if hosters could please change it
to what it is now which it will stay, however unreal hosters need do nothing, add it as:

ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master2.oldunreal.com MasterServerPort=27900

Or if using nepthys: ServerActors=Nephthys.NptServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master2.oldunreal.com MasterServerPort=27900

The Query port is: 28900 as default so if using it in the menuscreen.joingame area no changes to MasterServerTCP port is needed, in DX-SL etc keep port as 28900. Should now accept heartbeats from all versions without the stupid issues UCC was having.

Alexander
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby Alexander » 09 May 2014, 14:54

I just created a simple installer that basically does the same as the mod that servers are hosting:
http://www.deusexnetwork.com/files/DX1/ ... server.zip

It basically does 2 things:
First it tries to find the Deus Ex directory
And after pressing "Install" it modifies 2 values in the DeusEx.ini:
MasterServerAddress and MasterServerTCPPort (set to master.deusexnetwork.com and 28900)

Could some of you perhaps test the tool? If it works properly it's another easy patch that can be spread.

HDD21
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby HDD21 » 09 May 2014, 15:00

If you are distributing an executable, wouldn't a better idea be to have this executable install the Multiple MS mod, add all the known master servers such as deusexnetwork, mine, smirfs and dxmp and add it to the uplink as well? as ones who have updated in game would not be affected by the players who use that patch instead. Also adds much more redundancy. The ingame update is the best idea for players who may not visit forums but if someone has searched hard enough to find an executable patch then this could be made to give more redundancy. Editing the wikipedia page might just be a good idea as well.

As the known masters (which all use the default ports) that would support Deus Ex and Deja's mod supports up to 8:

master.deusexnetwork.com
master.oldunreal.com
master2.oldunreal.com
master.errorist.tk
master.dxmp.in
master.333networks.com (obviously your domain is pointing to it as it stands anyway)
master.fragaholic.com (points to 333 networks but why not)

if there are any I have forgotten let me know

Alexander
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby Alexander » 09 May 2014, 15:15

Honestly, and this is not meant to insult people in particular, I feel that the broadily offered solution should be a longterm and stable one.

Even though I love and encourage the enthusiasm and motivation that is carried by many, history has shown initiatives like these before and the majority are either no longer online or offline often/regularly deal with downtime because they are homehosted and such.

This is also the reason why I promote an alias (master.deusexnetwork.com) of 333networks' masterserver instead of their masterserver directly, so the domainname can easily be pointed elsewhere if needed. I do not host the masterserver myself, nor do I have intentions to do so at this moment.

This is my personal opinion, and I personally support and dedicate my time to the solution I offer. Once again though, Deus Ex Network is not limited to me, and is meant as a community project.

Also, for the record, master.fragaholic.com actually points to master.deusexnetwork.com.

HDD21
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby HDD21 » 09 May 2014, 15:51

Fair enough. I pointed out the above solution for added redundancy, the old unreal masterserver has been running for years and is one of the official masters in unreal's 227 patch. And for the record 333 networks is hosted on a home-based connection as well but is a powerful one : ) Mine also is and has been the past year, and is one of the official unreal 227 masters now. There are a few more unreal community masters but not all of them support multiple U engine games so i left them out for DX purposes. My server has a UPS and surge protection as I use the server for quite a few other things. I have two seperate internet connections running in this house, one is a 150mbps down 20 up coax provider line, one is an ADSL2+ conneciton which is on the verge of being updated to 80 down, 20 up FTTC VDSL2. The only downtime of mine was when I moved house but am now somewhere for the long term. Even got to keep the static IP address in the move for one of my connections!

I really applaud your efforts mind and whatever solution works works but for redundancy's sake this solution is the best one if we are distributing executables as with deja's mod only one of the 8 needs to work and it will get the server list instantly so master.deusexnetwork.com could be the first one in the configuration for it, but with the added redundancy of the others. In game updating as is happening at present, you had the best solution for that for people who cannot edit config files...

Just put it on the table. The ultimate option I proposed would be to go to glu mobile and see if we cannot appeal to their better nature after the shutdown and have master0.gamespy.com pointing to another domain in control of someone who would host a powerful enough multi master for the unreal engine. Slim chance of this happening but was an idea I put on the table nevertheless.

Jacob

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby ShadowRunner » 09 May 2014, 17:47

master.errorist.tk

Is that errorist or terrorist?

We can not afford to be errorist. It's like launching a generation spaceship from earth, we will only get one shot at this.

HDD21
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby HDD21 » 09 May 2014, 18:26

its errorist :)

Jacob

atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby atrey65789 » 09 May 2014, 20:43

Now this is what I love to see now... Compromising and agreements... And Alex, if that is true that master.deusexnetwork.com can point to several other master servers, then I think that would be best now since of how many people switched to that MSA.

Alexander
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby Alexander » 09 May 2014, 20:53

I can make it point to any masterserver really, but it can only point to a single one at the same time.

HDD21
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby HDD21 » 09 May 2014, 21:18

I still stand firm that if we do a patch as an EXE the multiple MS with master.deusexnetwork.com as the primary ( as in, entry 0) but the rest there,
as it still means master.deusexnetwork.com has the same benefits as it would in the menuscreenjoingame section, but with added redundancy.

LIke I Said, master.oldunreal.com has been up years, mine hosted on master2.oldunreal.com has been up for a year and counting, which smirf could point
anywhere anyway and it won't go anywhere and now it runs on the default ports for all games. The others I have listed are all known to the unreal community, I have left out the ones that are unreal only. The added redundancy does not affect master.deusexnetwork.com's status as a primary community masterserver but gives much more redundancy, oldunreal is the host of unreals official 227 patch and I trust smirf on this matter completely,
unreal has a few backup masterservers and the loss of gamespy due to all the ground work poses the least danger to the U1 community, the UT community is safe due to epic hosting theirs again as well for UT... but for Deus Ex the added redundancy could easily be offered if an EXE patch is used and we would be fools not to do so, the more the merrier. The ingame option obviously does not offer this as a solution due to limitations and Alex's one was the best solution for that, as all they needed to do was press a button, but an EXE patch? we have the opportunity for increased redundancy, and we should use it. As with the ingame option as players reinstall, or reset config to defaults, or what not they will vanish one by one, so an EXE patch is an ideal second opportunity so why not make it as bullet proof as possible.

A list of masters that support Deus Ex that I Know of:

master0.gamespy.com - closing on may 31
master.oldunreal.com - official oldunreal masterserver hosted by smirf, owner of old unreal and has been hosted for many years but recently support for multiple unreal engine games was added
master2.oldunreal.com - official oldunreal 227 secondary masterserver, hosted on my own server, supports all unreal engine games.
master.333networks.com - 333 network's master server
master.errorist.tk - another unreal community master server but supports all U engine games
master.fragaholic.com - points to master.deusexnetwork.com , also in the default DX UPLINK configurations.
master.deusexnetwork.com - points to 333 networks at the moment
master.dxmp.ie - deja's master server DX Only support????

Just my two cents :)

Jacob

Last edited by HDD21 on 10 May 2014, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby Alexander » 09 May 2014, 21:41

Your point has been noted HDD21, but please, don't keep repeating yourself.

I am going to stick by my opinion on this, feel free to create your own patch or whatsoever of course.
Besides aiming for a primary longterm and stable solution, there are also other aspects that need to be considered when using multiple masterservers.
Clients fetch info from multiple masterservers, what if one of them eventually become malicious? Feeding incorrect info to the client, or even flooding the client with fake IPs. Noone researched things like these before (as far as I know), so no, I still don't like the idea of wildly hosted masterservers.

I'll repeat myself once again, Deus Ex Network is meant as a community project and I just reached out to Nobody to share control of the Deus Ex Network masterserver (if you read this, just log into Steam, you'll see an offline message or two I sent you).

HDD21
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby HDD21 » 10 May 2014, 01:14

Fair enough. Though take the human brain as an example. The circle of willis is there for redundancy. A blood clot in one artery and it works around seamlessly enabling the brain to carry on working. for patents born without a circle of willis, a blood clot in either internal cartoid artery 99.9% of the time would equal instant death. LIken that to the loss of gamespy for Deus Ex. But it survives the loss, JUST. That 0.1%. But then the same problem again?, NO redundancy and would it survive such a catastrophic failure again? MInus the brain damage done from the first failure, which in DX's case is the loss of quite a few players who will not switch... Obviously we need to agree to disagree on this one, and I will not keep harping on about it, I Am more than happy to see that you have been working towards a solution, I am just one who distastes a single point of failure with ANYTHING. Just the way I work... The mess we are in now is a result of just that as well, a single point of failure.

Return to Deus Ex