Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue

Author
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby ~DJ~ » 02 May 2014, 18:39

atrey65789 wrote:I understand having your MS redirecting to several other ones.... but that falls back again to relying on this one MS, If it goes down, we all go down. It's just the way we gotta do it. On the safe side. :)

Then how abouts does one install the Dejavu's mod without knowing about it? you're limiting the players, those who wouldn't know about it will all be left alone?..
I don't fully understand what his mod is.. haven't looked much into it.. but from what I can understand.. isn't it just like DXSL? you could just set up DXSL to list multiple master-servers..?

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
Alexander
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby Alexander » 02 May 2014, 19:39

Unfortunately there's a small bug in the script I originally provided.
Because of the bug not all players would see the window while they should.

You'll find a fixed version here:
http://deusexnetwork.com/files/DX1/mult ... /DXNMSv2.u

alfredo
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby alfredo » 03 May 2014, 01:21

ShadowRunner wrote:We don't want a masterserver war, the ideal solution will allow anyone to add their masterserver and promote awareness. I saw Alfredo talking about hosting one too. There's plenty of people who want to do this. Any masterserver is better than none.

Yea, I think that with Dejavus mod which allows multiple master servers it would definitely be a good option, as the one hosted on deusexnetworks could be the primary and just have secondary ones to fall back on. This would also prevent one clan/group from taking control of the entire fate of deus ex

atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby atrey65789 » 03 May 2014, 04:16

^^ What Alfredo just said is the point I am trying to make. Thank you Alfredo.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby synthetic » 03 May 2014, 07:44

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:The goal is to get things alright with as few changes as possible.
The crux is that you don't need to install custom stuff here.
Yes, the disadvantage is, that we now rely on another domain.
However, currently it's a bigger disadvantage to install a mod in order to get it running again.

Btw Alex.. is it possible that the notification window doesn't function on servers with mapvote installed? :-k

I think the mapvote (re-release by this other coder. ie 110?) conflicts with anything that shows message window, either that or the function used does. Just wanted to mention it as I had problems getting it to work with voteTK window that refused to show up on latest mapvote. We rolled back to 2001 mapvote.

Everybody hosting MS is all cool and dandy, but if you are not sure that you can host it for at least 3 years with fairly reliable uptime, then it does us no good. Alex is relying on someone elses MS as its already there, has been for long time from what I understand. If that happens to (temporarily) go down, he can just direct it to one of his MS. What we want is reliable (years-reliable) and cost-efficient (we have no players, why waste money) solution.

alfredo
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby alfredo » 03 May 2014, 08:06

synthetic wrote:Everybody hosting MS is all cool and dandy, but if you are not sure that you can host it for at least 3 years with fairly reliable uptime, then it does us no good. Alex is relying on someone elses MS as its already there, has been for long time from what I understand. If that happens to (temporarily) go down, he can just direct it to one of his MS. What we want is reliable (years-reliable) and cost-efficient (we have no players, why waste money) solution.

Yea you make a good point, Ill go ahead and install that mod on my servers tomorrow. Somehow i managed to screw one of the servers up trying to merely add in the new master server.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 03 May 2014, 11:09

synthetic wrote:
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:The goal is to get things alright with as few changes as possible.
The crux is that you don't need to install custom stuff here.
Yes, the disadvantage is, that we now rely on another domain.
However, currently it's a bigger disadvantage to install a mod in order to get it running again.

Btw Alex.. is it possible that the notification window doesn't function on servers with mapvote installed? :-k

I think the mapvote (re-release by this other coder. ie 110?) conflicts with anything that shows message window, either that or the function used does. Just wanted to mention it as I had problems getting it to work with voteTK window that refused to show up on latest mapvote. We rolled back to 2001 mapvote.

Everybody hosting MS is all cool and dandy, but if you are not sure that you can host it for at least 3 years with fairly reliable uptime, then it does us no good. Alex is relying on someone elses MS as its already there, has been for long time from what I understand. If that happens to (temporarily) go down, he can just direct it to one of his MS. What we want is reliable (years-reliable) and cost-efficient (we have no players, why waste money) solution.

The problem was in fact another one. After it was fixed, the mapvote window still covered the notification window, but it appeared again, after closing the mapvote window.
According to the masterserver debate..
As first step, I'm still for the quick fix with the DeusExNetwork masterserver.
That is the best solution for people that aren't willing to perform several motification steps.
In addition, others can still install dejavu's solution if they want.
Both approaches aren't mutually exclusive, ya know! :wink:

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby synthetic » 04 May 2014, 09:26

I am not against Deja's solution at all, my only goal is to show support to Alex' masterserver plans there, as he (along with Daedalus) is likely the only available person that can secure a long-running MS, through various means.
While I don't see the point in servers being hosted on multiple masterservers, having the ability to fetch servers from various MS is certainly a plus. If servers start being hosted separately, it will handicap the playerbase further, unless we are talking about radically different modifications that somehow believe to benefit from such separation.

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby machete » 05 May 2014, 00:50

I'll add this bad boy first thing tomorrow. I'm tired right now!

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby ShadowRunner » 05 May 2014, 13:51

I'm not saying the two solutions are as good as each other, I'm just saying whichever is the best system, it should be able to link to as many masterservers as possible, no? To be honest I'm laerning not arguing, I just don't like any solutions which relies on 1 person or 1 country or 1 machine, but... a solution is a solution.

machete
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby machete » 06 May 2014, 04:10

Thanks again for the mod. :)

My server has the mod and is advertising to the new masterserver now as well. I also posted a big warning on my server page.

I'll be on the lookout for more suggestions on how to ease the transition.

Alexander
Archangel/1B
Archangel/1B

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby Alexander » 06 May 2014, 16:39

Today an attack took place against the DeusExNetwork masterserver, where a lot of fake servers were added to the masterserver list.
Fortunately this was detected relatively fast (within the hour) and solved swiftly after.

It is a pity that this occurred though. I can't but assume someone does not agree/does not like this masterserver and the people/concept behind it.
Please, if the attacker behind this reads this, I am open for discussion and suggestions, but attacks are not the way as it hurts the entire Deus Ex MP community.

atrey65789
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby atrey65789 » 06 May 2014, 18:08

If everyone uses this master server, it's best that you do your absolute best to keep it alive since the fate is in your hands now...

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 06 May 2014, 19:48

Alexander wrote:Today an attack took place against the DeusExNetwork masterserver, where a lot of fake servers were added to the masterserver list.
Fortunately this was detected relatively fast (within the hour) and solved swiftly after.

It is a pity that this occurred though. I can't but assume someone does not agree/does not like this masterserver and the people/concept behind it.
Please, if the attacker behind this reads this, I am open for discussion and suggestions, but attacks are not the way as it hurts the entire Deus Ex MP community.

Unfortunately, there are always small minded and subborn people out there.
If there weren't we wouldn't have all those conflicts on earth.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
alfredo
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Re: A solution for the GameSpy masterserver issue - Postby alfredo » 07 May 2014, 06:42

Will this masterserver accept uplinks from any server? Like non npt servers, and servers with different versions of Nephthys? I tried HDD21s server, but I think that one rejects certain ones.

Return to Deus Ex