Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

We need to organize server admins

Poll: "What should we do? you can pick 2 options each." Poll ended at 06 Nov 2014, 14:52
1: give admin to respected and sane players
27%
2: not give admin to anyone who doesn't have it already
No votes
3: always ban troublesome players who spectate or teamkill
13%
4: only kick them when it happens
13%
5: reduce max number of TK's on AntiTk mutator to 2
20%
6: leave the game forever (let's see who picks this)
7%
7: do nothing...
13%
8: contact veterans and ask them to moderate somehow
7%

Total votes : 15

Author
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

We need to organize server admins - Postby anax » 23 Oct 2014, 14:52

Yes, it's yet another post crying about a dead game, but whatever, if you don't care then you can't complain about these posts :o

I'm not going to push for a ban of these known troublesome players, maybe i should, but i'm not sure at this point.
Banning phantom and Co. was a good step, but i doubt that Hey wants to ban any more than those two, otherwise we really will actually have only 2 players or something! :bwahaha:

So here have a poll with various options.

Personally i think we need to get certain respected and respectable players to be watching the servers consistently.
Clearly the major and probably the only real blockage of this is how little players we have, as i have said, that's 50-75% the cause of our problems.

EDIT: my 2 votes are A: contact veterans and B: always ban the known TK'ers.

Here's a GIF of those players spectating mid-fight and teamkilling.
quicker than uploading an 800 x 600 video to Mediafire, lmao.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
DaniSaggenza
~ banhammered ~
~ banhammered ~

Nationality:
Sweden

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby DaniSaggenza » 23 Oct 2014, 15:15

leave the game forever (let's see who picks this)

slag picked it :bwahaha:

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby anax » 23 Oct 2014, 15:23

DaniSaggenza wrote:leave the game forever (let's see who picks this)

slag picked it :bwahaha:

LMFAO, #-o

PREQUEL

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby PREQUEL » 23 Oct 2014, 15:25

Hmm... and I think we need a sticky topic for organize matches.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby anax » 23 Oct 2014, 15:29

PREQUEL wrote:Hmm... and I think we need a sticky topic for organize matches.

Good idea, again, we just nneed the damn players for it!

DaniSaggenza
~ banhammered ~
~ banhammered ~

Nationality:
Sweden

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby DaniSaggenza » 23 Oct 2014, 15:33

Now seriously, theres something that I've noticed these past years, if we REALLY ban those players who are doing TK almost every match, game will have AT LEAST 6 players less, and thats A LOT considering hows the activity of this game nowadays.

We can always kick them or ban them for maps, of course, but, they'll come back and they'll do the same, mostly, because 2 or 3 of them are high pingers (140+) and are pissed off because they cant rifle at all, yeah, go and explain them that they still can play with heavies, they'll tell you to *love* yourself (own experience).

The idea of taking old players as admin is good, but you need to find one that can really play while other players are in the server, and I don't know if theres someone who will be attentive at 100 % at server lister, most of veterans are now dudes of 20-30 years and are working or just paying attention to other things.

Btw, trying to find admins without players its... I don't know, weird, it's like starting a house for the roof.

IchoTolot
invisible in background

Quad 1,0,0 - 3rd Planet - 50.6909 North - 11.5947 South

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby IchoTolot » 23 Oct 2014, 16:26

4 5 7

pi/100*1337=42
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby ShadowRunner » 23 Oct 2014, 19:26

4 5 7 yes, possibly 2 is applicable in some cases.

Since there is no unilateral co-operation among hosters and there is the ability to alias, I don't believe you will resolve this problem, someone somewhere will always be trolling servers until we come up with more permanent and assertive solutions.

There is a law being proposed in the UK right now about "use of computers to damage security, economy, welfare", doesn't matter if it happens, the point is that this persistent anti-social behaviour from the same few people is actually criminal and there is no shame in treating these people like criminals. In other games I have played, even swearing is inconceivable, but in DX cheating, bugging and binding against beginners and noobs is tolerated and even respected by some.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby synthetic » 23 Oct 2014, 21:13

ShadowRunner wrote:In other games I have played, even swearing is inconceivable, but in DX cheating, bugging and binding against beginners and noobs is tolerated and even respected by some.

I mostly agree with what you are saying but why is it that after I've spent like couple years now trying to explain it to you, you still disagree with millions (probably like tens of millions or more) of players who see binding as standard practice, including people who made our game engine?

You are waging war against those tens of millions of gamers with only few beginners or noobs. But all of them agree together that cheating is not tolerable. Cheating itself isnt restricted to computer gaming either, and we all know that.

It is kind of like that one player who decided to shut down all servers he didn't like, and keep them down or invisible. He figured his measure justifies the cause, and had some inner-circle backing. But that is same as what I said about cheating: there are millions (in his case probably even those who don't game lmao, so were talking billions) of people who are against such conduct.

These things are norms and standards. Some would call it common sense, too.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby TheWolf » 23 Oct 2014, 23:54

about the team killing... sometimes you get idiots who just shoot your legs out on your team and aggravate you, then you kill them so they get the option of getting you kicked... had the problem in hivemind, safe to say i got temporarily banned and the admin online at the time didn't listen to me

Ingame: Sev
Poor
Power/3D
Power/3D

Nationality:
United States of America

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby Poor » 24 Oct 2014, 07:16

I've joined a (or the?) atdm server a few times recently but it's just me vs some experienced augger with full augs who constantly shells, geps, and lams me. Then I get a teammate that shoots me. I don't know who these people are but if you want players to stay you have to make it fun for them, not just for yourself.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby synthetic » 25 Oct 2014, 01:54

Poor wrote:I've joined a (or the?) atdm server a few times recently but it's just me vs some experienced augger with full augs who constantly shells, geps, and lams me. Then I get a teammate that shoots me. I don't know who these people are but if you want players to stay you have to make it fun for them, not just for yourself.

1on1 ATDM is difficult, you need good control of the game.. can probably spectate and wait for more people to enter or something, or go to more active server. And if teammate shoots you its just one of those DXMP noobs.. every year has one or two just names change. Right now I think its mostly that russian Kevin or whatever nicknames he uses.

Your point about making game fun for players is stuck behind the fact theres no players, and the issue itself isnt directly one better player or the teamkiller. Fight that better player with a friend in teamwork and ban teamkiller..

The game is actually fun even when the server has 9 players that are a lot better than you, except 4 of them are in your team. Then you can use them as shield and go about your strategy, learning situations.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby ShadowRunner » 02 Nov 2014, 13:30

yep ok you're right 100%, binding is normal, but then why people *love* about in beginner's servers. Deja Vu's beginners server was just not "beginner" enough, or too many aug-experienced players were there and perhaps the whole 0-aug thing has a valid point. It's not the easiest game in the world.

I worry that some auggers see mods, custom work and 0-aug as competition, rather than something that could actually help retain new players. If there was less kneejerk reaction when a new mod or custom server was launched and other hosters kept cool and patient, then in-game disruption would be minimized. Fighting over what few players there are is dumb, when the obvious solution is to recruit more, but develop them properly as well. If admins only care about their server, but are messing up other people's server then there is no real progress. Also a lot of custom projects in development actually do feature augs, such as Hengsha, SG, Cagematch, DXAG etc. Admins need to be working for the whole community, not just one gametype. The biggest challenge is not recruiting, but advancing players from SP to ATDM without losing them.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby anax » 10 Nov 2014, 14:44

*Bump*

Ok since the poll has ended i honestly think FGS members and other DXers and server owners should gather and discuss the results, and implement the best results.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: We need to organize server admins - Postby TheWolf » 10 Nov 2014, 17:13

I now filled in the missing USA dxmp servers. Currently hosting 3 could probably fit more. Anyone who wants to be admin and is a fair admin can be an admin.

Ingame: Sev

Return to Deus Ex