Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

DXMP 2015

Author
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

DXMP 2015 - Postby synthetic » 21 Nov 2014, 05:43

Couple points and thoughts.

I've seen lot of community veterans quietly give up on DXMP after official servers went down, but generally that is limited to players that haven't been active in game for years. Still, loosing such backing is bad even for playing player. Not much to do that, playing players focus on games that can be had.

The issues our game has are now pretty commonly understood by most all players: game performance has seen some fixing and could perhaps even be improved further with a simple idea I had. In any case technically we are in much better shape than two years ago, in this regard. And, playing players. Well, with official servers down its bad news, but in theory we've had enough players for years. Why that hasn't been the case in practice, is my next point.

Most all clans, not including the generally very easy-going HK current lineup, have significant beef with one another, leading to decreased motivation to play in current active servers or outright blocking them. What this means? Lot less players, lot more friction, lot more dead dx. We can view clans and players as a resource we need to have our daily fun games. So what resource we have?

As a current base [BB] is seeding activity, [HK] is generally up for games. Problems with some BB founding members aside, that is some active players for daily games. To improve that situation, the stalemate with other clans has to go. Because it is largely down to fairly dumb issues or fears, it is a shame - and has always been - that we cannot have a proper professional server where admins don't fsck shite up and players can focus on game.

Okay, so I've mentioned BB and HK; A!B is not playing. They could play, and I understand the significance of loosing Ste, but for his own reasons the clan leadership doesn't promote interest in playing in his clan. That should, or could change, but for past years it has not. I personally don't give a shite if Monkee aliases or not, spams shells all map or whatever, real server doesn't prosecute against the use of shells or aliases. What we all care about is having skilled players in our games.
What next, THC. Blade is upset about the feedback from his paid server and how the games played out. Yes, I criticized his server, but on grounds that any experienced shooter game admin in any shooter game can understand. If mistakes were made, a man moves forward and comes back stronger and wiser. If THC with its few but important players chooses to blockade the game, it is a loss for both them and us, and a significant loss.
Hivemind clan with its original members is retired for about a year now, since and before server went down. To some degree I could do my part to get some players to play more, but I too have a problem with the game and other clans: I don't have any interest in playing a game that endorses cheating, nor do I intend to lead a clan in such a game. The issues with the lacking community have led me to take several longer breaks this year. From Hey's server (and hopefully hivemind's) we see that it is possible to host a server where players can just play. While I do not intend to bring my clan to non-miniMTL server nor can really recommend it until Alex makes a small tweak to ANNA, it does seem possible to just have a game.

So we've covered BB, HK, A!B, THC, Hivemind. Normally for competitive gamers that would be end of list - don't take it personally, I am really just saying as it is! - but I've put quite a lot of effort into getting FGS into that list of considerable clans as well. Maybe it is because game is on its deathbead, or maybe because of my annoying rants here - or both -, but quite a few FGS players have been playing in atdm servers lately. At least, some players have shown slight changes in attitude towards our game. So, I would very much like to list FGS in this list of clan resource for our everyday games. Problem with that is both lack of activity on leadership level what regards promoting clan activity, as well as umm.. slight lack of experience maybe? You know what I mean.

Or if I sum the last paragraphs up quickly: we have 2 clans playing, 3-4 clans are not playing for solvable reasons. This is significant.

It is also important to note that these ideas deal with the here and the now, without proper community development support there will be no longevity to it, but thats another (old) topic.

So an ideal roadmap to Winter 2014/2015 games, not including any impact from the predictable ddos attacks from phantmoon (tm), would be the following:

:: a server with sufficient patches to counter common issues (ideally, ANNA would receive minor modification in shape of dt display)
:: somehow getting all 6 clans listed to play
:: preparing a package with necessary player patches/binds (i got an idea how to do that but won't be setting up an exe myself.. if someone can do that at some point)
:: ban all clearly and blatantly detected cheaters because if 6 clans play then even the most morally confused players can admit to having a decent game (anna mod should greatly aid in doing so)

This entire roadmap assumes that somehow it is possible to get through to clans that theoretically exist but do not play, as well as clearing out the reasons as to why they don't. Cheating won't be an issue with miniMTL or theoretical ANNA update, and a banned cheater doesnt matter.
Anyone who promotes or supports cheating and cheaters is simply killing off any activity there could be had, even if it gives the false illusion of having slightly bigger games in the short run.

ps: I'd appreciate if admins cleaned the thread of any posts where Phantom's minions start launching verbal attacks against me again. Otherwise every thread will turn into flamewar.

pps: While having some degree of success with any of it would be very nice, the thread is primarily meant to showcase what issues bottleneck even the current activity as-is, and not really written with the imagination that tomorrow it's going to be different. In all likelihood, everybody will still want to play in their tiny corner where they have admin and server log access. :ney:

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby anax » 21 Nov 2014, 06:01

i actually sat through the whole 2013 FGS Vs. HVM war video tonight and overall I can say it was damn good to see a war happen at all, and I think FGS deserve a place on that list.

It was a shame to miss the first HK vs HVM match, which i believe was 0-augs? I can understand why there would be something of an aversion to playing the pending 2nd battle in Hey's server because of his low ping.

I'm looking forward to the prospect of a second match, in light of USA HK members making a possible return, but I think a discussion should take place about where to host this.

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby synthetic » 21 Nov 2014, 06:35

Small clarification: its not some kind of personal list I keep... its just how players perceive the playing clans and what clans they even know of. Kind of relevance list.. FGS is a very old mod clan and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. What we'd all like to see is that tag being displayed more often in classic servers, and thats really all there is to it.

What regards the more competitive 0aug scene, FGS actually had a very strong theoretical lineup at some point, so they were very much in any 0aug "list" (I'd estimate that most of their strongest players didnt play in that HVM war though). But yeah, the focus here is on DXMP as it was released.

edit: HK match was 0a mod and rematch in that gametype was pending after ATDM match; while host playing war is pretty sad, under the circumstances there was nothing to do about it and HVM didn't complain. Basically matches stopped because we couldn't get our lineup ready for ATDM match, against my hopes >.<

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby anax » 21 Nov 2014, 07:23

Of course, i didn't want to jump to conclusions on the nature of the list. Just some others might say otherwise based on SR vs Ken stuff, which i probably shouldn't even bother mentioning come to think of it.

But let the focus be on the game, as always.

Unreal ED works without any bumps, time to finish off DXMP_Factory, after that i'll just need feedback from auggerz.

Edit:
Starting it up, looking at Silo in the open-viewer on bigger monitor.

DaniSaggenza
~ banhammered ~
~ banhammered ~

Nationality:
Sweden

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby DaniSaggenza » 21 Nov 2014, 11:23

I'm agree with everything that Ken said.

Blade did play some maps for 2 or 3 days, you did play with him as cartagra if I remember correctly, anyways he is in CSGO or Dota, maybe if he sees more activity he could play more.

GROUPS

Actually groups have been our best way to get good games going these days, the Steam group that you mentioned is pretty much dead in part because of me failing in his administration, but we have another groups in Skype which work pretty nice, we have one for ATDM (you were on it time ago) where Hey is the admin, and another one that includes Auggers and 0A where I could add you if you wish.

Anyways if 2-3 players sit on server players will show up fast.

EDIT 2.0

I've been trying to contact Machete to see whats up with the 0a server, it is down since a week or so, and I know most of us right now are more focused on ATDM but, we have to remember that 0a has been also a great source for players.

Last edited by DaniSaggenza on 21 Nov 2014, 17:16, edited 2 times in total.
Leo
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Croatia

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby Leo » 21 Nov 2014, 11:27

Trast my no mater how much yuu are dorko beat you all. Any time any map trast me. So not try to find partners becasue dorko beat you all trast me.
Enjoy.

DaniSaggenza
~ banhammered ~
~ banhammered ~

Nationality:
Sweden

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby DaniSaggenza » 21 Nov 2014, 11:53

System: Post deleted - Nothing to see here!

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby anax » 21 Nov 2014, 11:58

Same, i agree with both of you, we need co-operation of some magnitude, in a non-personal way, to maintain the health of DXMP, a server for Deus Ex on 13D.net can be purchased monthly for €9.90, that's £7.90 - $12.42.

Basically a kid could run a DXMP server through simple pocket money and a bit of knowledge about gaming and server hosting.

We now have the chance to boost the already slowly increasing activity, to a level above some previous years, by early 2015.

Also, warn Leo for off topic crap, and Darko too cause you know that's what's coming next :?

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby ShadowRunner » 21 Nov 2014, 18:33

Synthetic wrote:So an ideal roadmap to Winter 2014/2015 games, not including any impact from the predictable ddos attacks from phantmoon (tm), would be the following:

:: a server with sufficient patches to counter common issues (ideally, ANNA would receive minor modification in shape of dt display)
:: somehow getting all 6 clans listed to play
:: preparing a package with necessary player patches/binds (i got an idea how to do that but won't be setting up an exe myself.. if someone can do that at some point)
:: ban all clearly and blatantly detected cheaters because if 6 clans play then even the most morally confused players can admit to having a decent game (anna mod should greatly aid in doing so)

Phantmoon lol... This plan sounds good.

Wolf is telling me that for $28 or 22.56 euros or £17.88 you can rent a whole BOX.

This gives 4-6 DXMP servers does it not. So we are talking a server each for less than five euros a month.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby TheWolf » 22 Nov 2014, 02:10

I'll play more if you decide not to be a male sex organ about everything

Ingame: Sev
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby [FGS]Chees » 22 Nov 2014, 02:44

Sev you get my email with 0-aug maps?? Been a few days and never herd back bro :o

Edit who's being a d***? cant focus and read all posts on the topic atm

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby TheWolf » 22 Nov 2014, 03:55

I got it and I'm going to send back the deti information. I think I can trust you with that information.

That remark was @ Ken

Ingame: Sev
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby synthetic » 22 Nov 2014, 11:36

i3d has been a less-known host for DXMP but they've been hosting for years. I think Alex discovered that they are hosting DXMP and REN server was also from i3d. There were concerns that i3d didn't perform as well as gamesmajor or gamingdeluxe but that may have been down to other circumstances at the time. 2014 I have no experience with how well the servers perform, but if Hey can host a pretty good server from home then it would be stupid if paid company cant do that much.

I might look into couple things, server and mapping among those things. But it does depend on how well we can secure our backing as far as patches go. Right now we don't have an ideal solution. miniMTL doesnt have demorecs and ANNA doesnt have anything for gamespeed issues. Like I posted in another thread: if we cannot fix it then we could at least display it, so admins can "fix" it. A version of ANNA already showed FPS on scoreboard, and you can see that in the ANNA thread on these forums. If we added TimeDilation value or some kind of indicator of that to scoreboard as well (or somewhere) then we might not actually have to use a patch that automatically attempts to fix it (minimtl). I'm not a coder so I don't know all the possible options here, but ideally having some kind of "normal" value range showing would put minds at ease and also work with all kinds of false positives. ie Player 10 frags 10 deaths 10 streak 10 ping 10 FPS 1.02 dt value or something. So we see its a player who got owned for 10 frags, somehow got 10 kills and streak, is playing on 2 centuries old pc and his own server, and at normal gamesped.

DaniSaggenza
~ banhammered ~
~ banhammered ~

Nationality:
Sweden

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby DaniSaggenza » 22 Nov 2014, 14:22

Ah, and don't forget about THC, they are not active but these days their players have been showing up for some maps, for example Sync and Blade today!

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXMP 2015 - Postby ShadowRunner » 22 Nov 2014, 15:31

bumping because there was no comment

for $28 or 22.56 euros or £17.88 you can rent a whole BOX, which will give several servers

Return to Deus Ex