Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

DXMP_Basilisk (wip)

Author
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby [FGS]Chees » 25 Nov 2014, 14:10

would be helpful to have an add on tool for UED that turns of grid brushwork a different color when checked. Would save time and fix many mapping problems people come across.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby ShadowRunner » 27 Nov 2014, 18:12

Really off-grid? I am surprised there's no bsp or bugs near the church or anywhere, seemed well constructed, I didn't check brushes individually. I was impressed by mapping techniques like using movers for streetlamps. Hopefully it won't take much to put on grid. Some popular maps were/are off grid. I feel the fps issues though are mainly due to lack of zoning and the open space in the middle being very/too open.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby anax » 27 Nov 2014, 18:37

I just checked over this map and my alternative iceworld again, for almost 20 minutes, scanning over as many complex brushes i could find, at the fullest zoom level and grid set to the smallest unit and i only found 2 places where brushes are off grid. So i'm really sorry mate, but i have no idea what is going on. :bwahaha:

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby [FGS]Chees » 27 Nov 2014, 22:51

I cant upload any picture the website wont let me but I don't lie about what I said.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby anax » 28 Nov 2014, 05:13

I showed you a step by step example of how to upload an image using the imagocentre hosting site, i don't understand why something as simple as posting images is difficult but that's all i'll say about that.
You must have a really trippy version of UnrealED cause i still don't see anything, especially on my map, i literally live by the grid, vertex snapping is constantly on and is only turned off when a point is snapping to the corner of a nearby brush and not the grid point i wanted to snap it to.

go to imagocentre.

click "choose file"

find the image you want from your computer and click open

click green upload button and wait

chose a type of link to use, Full Size Forum BB Code is the best option for dxmp forums

delete everything outside of the "[ img ]" tags, that means delete the URL=i7u5y4jf9v8g8e8fh9 crap.

From my map thread:
anax wrote:that could be done if uploading avatars wasn't broken! Admins need to fix that!

imagocentre is really simple, i'll show you.

1:
Navigate to http://www.imagocentre.com

2:
Click choose file.

3:
Get the image you want.

4:
Click upload.

5:
Now you'll see the link codes you can use ( they're just links with the "img" and "url" tags already attached )

For Dxmp we typically want to use the Full Size, Forum BB Code so copy that one.

Final step:
paste the code you just copied when writing a post.
Delete the "URL" tags because we don't need to jump to the website the image is hosted on when we click on it.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby [FGS]Chees » 28 Nov 2014, 11:12

i have trouble functioning even remotely normal on a day to day basis right now.
Forget I even said anything and don't worrie about what I said. Ignore it your map is very nice and will play very nice when said and done. I look forward to playing on it if I ever get the chance to.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby anax » 28 Nov 2014, 14:15

of course of course, not to worry, sorry to trouble you any further in that case!

mikak
Angel/0A
Angel/0A

Nationality:
Australia

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby mikak » 14 Dec 2014, 15:28

massive apologies for the terribly unpunctual replies guys, didn't rain much all year (150mm feb thru nov) and hasn't stopped raining all december, which is comparable to money falling from the sky for me. woot sweet potato vines going all day of the triffids on me

huge thanks for the very helpful feedback. i have begun a rebuild to address the many issues; zoning and fps improvement is obviously critical, as those fps mentioned are horrendous, i'm getting 60fps steady (capped) with d3d9 renderer and 1360*768 resolution even in the bell tower. difficult to actually zone off the areas as they are so it seems that the map will end up larger, but with a similar amount of content, just spread out and separated more

crucially i now realise the tanks have a collision of 400uu diameter, hence the whole layout requires major tweaking to rectify the situation to allow their inclusion.

This: "players can quickly find each other": that'll be incorporated as a fundamental strategy

the grassy area is f*****, no getting around it, needs removing or changing significantly, sad because i had some success using 2 varient 4 sided cones for slopes before

concerning the use of so many movers; i probably went over-the-top with them, essentially caused by testing only on one strong pc. I spammed multiple additional floors to break up the view of the horizon from street level, not realising it wasn't an adequate alternative to proper zoning. movers have been used for the street lamps as that is a whole lot of texture aligning and scaling that is destroyed when 'transform permanently' is invoked. the collision seems correct. many of the windows will be made semisolid or mere textures to reduce stress, lots of the non accessible rooms don't actually warrant hollowed out rooms either.

glad you liked my sexynurses :-D they have animation speed issues tho, spent quite some time trying to figure it out; sadly failed. i also intended to turn a vending machine into a doctor who dispensed medkits

the canal/river is an artifact from the singleplayer incarnation, the bridge/towers are just aesthetic, didn't make tank traps & barbed wire rolls to block it off. river will probably be removed in the rebuild

textures are all placeholding until geometry and lighting are finalized, i agree it doesn't have much decrement or weathering, i've been playing with the genfx.utx (i think) vines, which adds an element of age, not so much wear and tear tho

some stuff is indeed off-grid :oops:, should only be 3 things; post & railing fence, fallen fence pillars and crates. all are 1uu off grid and either semisolid or mover. they are rotated to make it look more natural. will alter the first 2 elements in the rebuild but the crates look strange when all perfectly aligned n/s e/w, hopefully they wont cause major errors. alternately i'll make a .u for some of my models to replace said mover boxes.

again, i'm extremely grateful for the input. and didn't mean to be so tardy on the reply. now i'm off to the editor to add some polish to the first rebuilt street. gg

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby ShadowRunner » 16 Dec 2014, 23:23

mikak wrote:. difficult to actually zone off the areas as they are so it seems that the map will end up larger, but with a similar amount of content, just spread out and separated more.
I don't understand this sentence. Zone portals are just sheets. I can understand the map getting bigger if you are widening streets for tanks, but the zone portals should be easy. Take a look at Anax's map thread, I posted Mainman's zoning system in Landernau map. Also, don't worry about fps being bad if the player is higher than street level, this is normal in towers and there's no way to make it perfect. The only thing I felt was the largest open area was a bit too open to not be affecting fps, but simple walls and zone portals above them can fix that.

mikak wrote:This: "players can quickly find each other": that'll be incorporated as a fundamental strategy

Yes. If you look at DXAG_Landernau or WW2_Landernau, the map is very linear, a street, but Mainman added a house that you can walk through, basically he looped the map. I would do something similar, with the C shape of your streets, could be a sewer, vent, alley, house interior etc.

Mikak wrote:I spammed multiple additional floors to break up the view of the horizon from street level, not realizing it wasn't an adequate alternative to proper zoning.
Not necessarily a bad thing. You're right about zoning, but it does help. The main point about zones is that they stop all players being in the same room at once, which is why you will notice that GODZ_Sniperbox isn't massively better in performance than other small maps.

mikak wrote:movers have been used for the street lamps
[/quote]
For one of your first maps this was very impressive and the Medical Vending machine is a great idea.

About off-grid. I would say grid is important 95% of the time, but there are times, especially with using prefabs, duplications, copies or groups of SP brushes, that touching vertices isn't a great idea. Don't worry about speed or time and all of our feedback is just feedback for improvement, the map is an excellent thing considering you are a new mapper.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_Basilisk (wip) - Postby anax » 17 Dec 2014, 00:46

i actually tried re-zoning DXMP_ICeWorld_Augged_Beta4, but i still have the annoying problems, think i'll have to start from scratch again, which is something i knew i would have to do with one of my maps at some time. And now that time has come and it's pissing me off so much it's unreal :bwahaha:

Return to Deus Ex