Fight map

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Fight map - Postby ShadowRunner » 27 Nov 2014, 18:34

Showing some of the textures used.
I decided to have a LAW in the map, but guard it heavily and place an alarm which alerts other players that someone is trying to steal the LAW.
The bottom layer/floor is underwater and I might remove it entirely
Although the map is about the size of DXMP_Drydock nearly all areas lead to one central room, a la smuggler. Corridors are big 256x256 in 95% of places. It has 6 spawns. I wanted to make it easier for ATDM beginners and have given it slightly more medbots and repairbots than the usual 2-4/4 for this size map. For the purposes of my sanity and time I have used some familiar movers, as well as new movers and I am not bothered because the map and signage fits with the default maps universe.

I tried to make the map usable for 0-aug and ATDM at the same time, but the WIP version has a cabinet with a ballistic shield inside, like the THC map, maybe I should remove it.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Fight map - Postby anax » 27 Nov 2014, 18:55

Looking good, can't wait to play it, i like the huge pipes and the doors, which look custom!
Which reminds me, i still have yet to make an entire map out of movers, an idea many of us seemed to be talking about in some thread last year. :)

AKA Knifeworld on Discord etc. Frozen brains tell no tales!
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Fight map - Postby ShadowRunner » 28 Nov 2014, 16:05

The pipes were there really for some mostly out of bounds scenery to give a feel like Black Mesa or Half-Life. Some doors are custom, very simple ones.

I think it was Magus who came up with the idea of a map entirely constructed from movers. It would be an absolutely brilliant thing. I watched AvP and Mazerunner and films with constantly shifting sets and I am none the wiser what the design should be. Would be fun to set the movers "crush when encroached".

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Fight map - Postby ShadowRunner » 02 Dec 2014, 04:44

Download the map here: http://www.filedropper.com/dxmpblackmesa

DXMP_BlackMesa

The backstory here is that two medbots are sparking and have caused a fire alert, so this sector of Black Mesa is under lockdown until the medbots can be fixed. The NSF break in and team deathmatch commences...

I've tried to make a map that could be ATDM, any augs or 0a. There are 6 spawns with 4 playerstarts each. It's about the size of Majestic, Drydock or Tunnel Network. I've used the same music as Tunnel Network. There is a turret protecting the LAW room and I've put the turret and LAW as out of the way as possible. I'm open to ideas, changes, requests. It's a rough beta for anyone to test, host, give comments, feedback, thank you :)

Edit: I noticed a missing brush for the trigger light.

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Fight map - Postby anax » 02 Dec 2014, 17:16

Nice work!

Certain textures will have some interlacing line detail in higher
quality settings, good for simulating the apearance of screens or
holograms, not so good for lighting.

These exit signs would look better near some of the non-mover fire
doors, rather than in smaller rooms.

Glass mover is is broken maybe?

I don't see any robots in that small room either, would look good if
you have some kind of unaccessible area with robots on patrol, but
that might not fit the Half Life back story?
Yes, I haven't played any game from that series, shocking i know, but
I recognize the influence and popularity.

The most important part for MP: EVERY corner I turn I find biocells
and more, I can explore another 2 meters and I will find yet another biocell, this is a bad idea!
However, if you're doing that as a way to figure out where best to
distribute them
, that's fine, just don't expect a quick response on where
to put them because they're literally on every corner. :-D

I like this room a lot, i mean a lot, most maps have the turret
computer in plain sight, very easy to take over turrets once you skill
up hacking, this makes it more tactical. Good job!

I like the map very much, just take it easy on the number of pickups
(24 biocells in total!) Custom textures are amazing, a very Deus Ex
style map, especially with the computer terminals and things like
that, and the triggerable lights too; that was a fun part of the training mission.

Also a bonus video of something hilarious with a cabinet, i've never seen anything as crazy as that! :bwahaha:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cusz2 ... abinet.mp4

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Fight map - Postby [FGS]Chees » 02 Dec 2014, 18:38

Thats the best DX video I have ever seen, almost fell off my chair laughing! :bwahaha: =D>

Edit: Did you ever get into it!?

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Fight map - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 02 Dec 2014, 19:01

Haha, the video is funny, indeed. :)

anax wrote:i still have yet to make an entire map out of movers
I don't want to be the nay-sayer but I doubt this will work. The engine is already having issues with 10 ring transporters within one map. I fear the engine will slaughter the map is you attempt to do that. 8-[

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Fight map - Postby ShadowRunner » 02 Dec 2014, 19:18

A massive thank you for the pro testing and reporting. Really valuable stuff. I like the idea of using the firedoors with the exit signs...besides being logical it will look much better...

anax wrote:Certain textures will have some interlacing line detail in higher
quality settings, good for simulating the apearance of screens or
holograms, not so good for lighting.... ....Custom textures are amazing...

Interlacing hmm, heads for wikipedia...The issue is with the texture or the lighting? I know I haven't set radii properly. I set saturation at 32, looked great, but possibly dark, so I raised it to 40. The screen and forcefield textures are default.
The custom textures are set size = 0.5 not default. Should I just make them default size?
I used 512x512 images and they are set 0.5 in properties>size. Not sure if that is damaging performance or not.

anax wrote:I don't see any robots in that small room either, would look good if
you have some kind of unaccessible area with robots on patrol, but
that might not fit the Half Life back story?

I love this comment. I've posted about this a million times previously, that it is crazy that DXMP is so old, we have turrets but no wandering/patrolling, guarding bots which can fire and be hacked using a security computer. Same for doors and security computers.

I wanted to put a security robot there but felt the ATDM crowd would not take the map seriously. There is a medbot there, I can replace it with a security bot. Chees also has some effects like steam and electricity. I'd be happy for either of you or both to edit the map.

anax wrote: biocells...(24 biocells in total!)

Thanks a lot as I am noob. 10?

anax wrote:I like this room a lot, i mean a lot, most maps have the turret
computer in plain sight, very easy to take over turrets once you skill
up hacking, this makes it more tactical. Good job!

I copied the idea from Sike in DXMP Majestic and Gheist? in DXMP_Tunnel Network

anax wrote:Also a bonus video of something hilarious with a cabinet, i've never seen anything as crazy as that! :bwahaha:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cusz2 ... abinet.mp4
[/quote]
That is because I am too lazy to open DXMP_CMD every time and tried to copy paste within the same custom map.
Also there is a lot of semi-solid and probably 300 subtracts and 550 adds. I've had to turn one or two brushes solid after rebuilds. Awesome video.

Once again a massive thanks for the pro work. Half-life is CS with little green men and cool weps. Like DXSG_CMD with the other team in karkian skins, before you turn on the triggerlights. But the Black Mesa base is immense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCmJuUlboEY
DX is really HL2... just less monsters and alien planets. I didnt like HL once you teleport to space.

About Mover maps... what if the movers were just cubes... is it just the proximity of movers being close together that is the problem?

anax
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Fight map - Postby anax » 02 Dec 2014, 20:18

Ah, i don't know the most minute details how how textures are rendered, but it didn;t seem like there was much impact to my fps rate, if you didn't say that i would have sworn the textures were mostly scaled normally to 1.0... The solution to avoid the lines on unlit textures representing lights is to use a different texture.
There are some solid color textured you can use for that in one of the built in packages, i think it's Effects.UTX or Extras.UTX, possibly neither of those two! XD i can't remember because i made my own custom package full of solid colors for making brushes to look like lighting fixtures.

About the robot idea, i actually like that idea a lot, but i think the space would need to be bigger and, near a valuable item spot, and made to look more like a place that a robot would patreol.

As for the biocells and other items, i hate to say it! But even 10 is WAY too many biocells! TunnelNetwork, Area_51 and other large maps have less than 10, i know that Smuggler does have 4 free cells but that's generally accepted and almost makes a big part of Smugglers fast paced environment. IMO.

So having said that, try 10 biocells in total, put 6 into cabinets and 4 of them as free pickups, but make sure they're not in obvious places - or put them on shelves or door-less cabinets, don't make them TOO hidden, either!

@ mover maps, i'm not sure about that, i think if they don't touch / intersect then they should be fine.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Fight map - Postby [FGS]Chees » 02 Dec 2014, 20:20

I made a map a while back it was similar to Twinz map but 3 sky scrapers made of entirely of 3 movers and it worked fine. Shame I don't have the map anymore. Could be the how close they are or how the movers were made that gives an end result of yay or nay

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Fight map - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 02 Dec 2014, 20:30

It depends on complexity of course.
If the sky scrapers were basically cuboid, then there's not that much of a problem.
Nevertheless.. don't hesitate to try it! :)

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Fight map - Postby [FGS]Chees » 02 Dec 2014, 20:51

They were rectangle 1024 squared/wide by 10024 high units each, but the insides were like a subtracted map but a complete mover when said and done and all things attached to it and all 3 rotated constantly. they were place in an empty subtract so not a complete stand alone mover map but complex enough. And that was made when i was a noob and it worked fine. (I'm still a noob now!)

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Fight map - Postby ShadowRunner » 02 Dec 2014, 22:02

- Reduced the bio and med by 50% to around 10 each, but after reading your comments I'll go further in V002
- I added a couple of breakable patrolling robots but I agree it is cramped for them.
- Moved exit signs/lights to firedoors and it looks much better, thanks.
- Extinguisher has breakable glass now.
- Funny cabinet is fixed, there were actually two doors there, that is why, some kind of bug or mouse issue.
- There is a strange bug that after removing the exit sign/light from its original place, there is still some red light there.
- I credited you Anax as Tester in the level info.

Here is the improved map: http://www.filedropper.com/blackmesa001

But now maybe I should remove those two robots until coding them happens and I will definitely remove more bio and med. I can leave one deactivated robot in the repair bay.

Mover map... do you remember Craig's custom map for low grav with boxes that were all ladders and strange gravity, that would be great with a moving map, really confusing, to have ladder surfaces and altered gravity.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Fight map - Postby [FGS]Chees » 02 Dec 2014, 23:31

Not looked at this map yet apart from th pics in the post. Have bothe downloads you sent so Will have a major look at this tomorrow tomorrow Shadow before I have to take medication and things! and give feed back/opinion if I can.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Fight map - Postby ShadowRunner » 03 Dec 2014, 05:25

Thanks and take your time.

Here is a final pre-hosting beta version DXMP_BlackMesa.dx

- Changed music to Versalife.umx Song Section 1 (cutscene music)
- Removed patrolling robots
- Added more triggerlights
- Removed bio to 6/4

http://www.filedropper.com/dxmp-blackmesa
Some screenshots and a texture file are included.

Return to Deus Ex