Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

A look back at the mapping competition

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

A look back at the mapping competition - Postby ShadowRunner » 30 Nov 2014, 21:07

Was asked recently to see if I had copies of the maps and it brought back some memories. Now being older and wiser I have to say that I would probably judge it differently, or perhaps the competition for "2mb" was wrong, a open competition might have been better. Also when it came to the judges, we are both fans of custom and perhaps a 3rd judge who was fanatical about fight maps would have helped break some of the balance there was sometimes in judging. Also maybe there should have been two categories, one for fight maps and one for "custom" or "fun".

These are the maps I remember... Duke's, Cozmo's Snorbans, Chinny's Stalwart, Kalman's lighthouse and Chees' DX Studios and Atrey's multibeta5. Chees was disqualified for going way over 2mb, didn't seem fair to the others, but it was probably the most complete AND original map. Chinny chose to reboot a previous design and perhaps we should have disqualified that also, which would have left Cozmo as the winner perhaps, but Chinny's map was probably more popular with fight merchants. I have to give a special mention to Atrey's map also, it was simple, but it was a workable fight map. The only reason I felt Kalman and Cozmo slightly lagged behind Chees and Chin was that Chees and Chin left no stone unturned, however I probably enjoyed the innovation of Kalman's more and the atmosphere of Snorbans.

Another competition in future would be fun and I thought I would lay these points down, so anyone thinking of hosting a contest in future might want to make a more open competition where people can do what they want and there be more than category.
Maybe a public vote might be interesting next time.

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: A look back at the mapping competition - Postby [FGS]Chees » 30 Nov 2014, 21:51

Might be fun to get one sorted out to start in January and kick this game back in to life. :-D

Return to Deus Ex