Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex ]

SDK problem

Author
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

SDK problem - Postby ShadowRunner » 13 Jun 2006, 12:24

I have a map finished, but requiring about one? hour's work to finish it, just small easy-to-fix errors like a keyframe in wrong place etc...couple of weps missing.For two weeks I and some other mappers can not run ANY version of the editor.I get 3 different messages on start-up. One is about editor.dll, one is about Class>Player>Pawn>1498 etc...another is about History...My map is very different from my previous maps and thanks to DXMS input and advice, it is IMO much better than anything I have previously done.

I wonder if either

1. Someone could remote access my PC and install the editor properly, I think I am doing something really dumb...I changed to Firefox and it wont let me just click on the exe, It's asking me to use "actions" and then it builds a directory in the programs directory, toolbar thingy "Start"...

OR

2. Take my map, fix the keyframe, add 3 weps and replace 3 doors which dont work properly, with copies of the other spwnroom's doors. And add any little touch they feel is necessary, take the credit as a joint-project. I think it's style is very different from DXMS maps, it is a fighting map, but style is perhaps not DXMS. Also I have modded some items, so it is almost kind of a mod and map at the same time. But I dont care who gets the credit, I just want to see if my new ideas work on the FGS server, or any server...

It is a small map 1.2mb, and only about 4 main rooms. I'm dying to see it hosted...
It is unbelievably frustating not being able to open the editor. I have tried edgefiles version and fileplanet versions and "final" version and "latest" versions...I have tried installing directly in DX folders, on desktop, I have tried completely removing DX and re-installing and same with MTL... The other mapper too has tried all 3 versions of the SDK with no luck...I even suspect some kind of sabotage...Also when I join maps like DXMS_Breakout I can't...I have a "Version mismatch - Package :Editor"....

Elemental
Power/3D
Power/3D

- Postby Elemental » 13 Jun 2006, 16:41

I've recieved your map, and I do see somethings that I may do. I'm thinking of adding some more rooms. And I'll have a look at it on dx, and see if all the movers work ok. But I think the map looks pretty good :D

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 13 Jun 2006, 17:21

Cheers bruv...I thought

1. some of the rooms in the spwnrooms could lead somewhere else.OR
2. there could be a vent system around the main hall OR
3. The main hall could have a vehicle, people could camp inside OR
4. The command centre could lead to another area...

MOVERS - they all work except the lift to command from unfinished spwn. It needs a keyframe moved. Also the doors in the unfinished spwnroom are weirdly faulty...need replacing with copies of other doors that work...

Thanks though, I wasn't totally happy with the main hall, I thought it could be more greasy and oily and like a vehicle hangar...

Wow, I'm excited...look forwards to seeing what a real mapper does to it...

Jon
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

- Postby Jon » 13 Jun 2006, 18:01

Main concerns about that map are texture scaling, and FPS

NPC's and many actors in a concentrated area can cause some serious FPS problems - you should take it from me - I have a 1 GHz processor... modern day pcs usually have around 2.5 Ghz

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 13 Jun 2006, 19:06

I appreciate the feedback...I will pass it on to Elemental, who is now in charge of the project...He had some great ideas to change the map...

The NPC's I think were there to keep me company while I mapped...and to test a few things...

I put NPC's on DXMP_VIP and totally ruined the main room, Daemon got less than 10 fps on that room...I'll make sure he removes them...

Thx

Elemental
Power/3D
Power/3D

- Postby Elemental » 14 Jun 2006, 04:13

I already have plans to remove the NPC's. But mostly I'm just adding a couple of rooms to the map, and redoing a few textures...... I don't want to do to much to it because it wouldn't be truly ShadowRunner's map... I want to mostly show his mapping skills, and me.... I'm just trying to put myself into the background on this map lol...

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

- Postby ShadowRunner » 14 Jun 2006, 16:43

I think it will be a very popular map, because I did what already is known to work on maps that have lasted many years DX, like Tunnel Network...

So in a way it is designed by the players, not me...

Elemental
Power/3D
Power/3D

- Postby Elemental » 14 Jun 2006, 17:49

ShadowRunner wrote:I think it will be a very popular map, because I did what already is known to work on maps that have lasted many years DX, like Tunnel Network...

So in a way it is designed by the players, not me...

Oh man...... when I get this old will i get this corny to? lol. The map is ready for testing.. just need to wait until ur on msn.

Return to Deus Ex