561376_10151828342842729_176453227_n.png (29.25 KiB) Viewed 5088 times

anihex
aniwho?...
aniwho?...

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Programmers will understand - Postby anihex » 29 Apr 2013, 16:47

Nice one!

A friend of mine asked me how to jump within a Delphi Source. My reply was something like: "Sit! Don't ever do that!"
Actually when I started programming, I had to use GOTO and GOSUB in my source codes. The BASIC V2 of the C64 had no functions or routines whatsoever. No WHILE or DO WHILE. No SWITCH ... CASE ... either. Hell, there wasn't even IF .. THEN ... ELSE .. There was only IF ... THEN ...
And this was only for the current row.
Begin? End? No, Sir!
Variables with more than 2 Letters? No, Sir!
Actually, you COULD use Variables with more than 2 Letters. However ... The Variable "INDEX" and "INDOOR" would have been the same!

And maybe the worst thing were the line numbers. You HAD to use them. If not: "Well, not my problem."

So ... Enjoy the fact you're in a more modern era of programming.

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: Programmers will understand - Postby ~DJ~ » 30 Apr 2013, 13:29

good thing I never studied delphi

why did you guys study it on the first place? compulsory or something?

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
anihex
aniwho?...
aniwho?...

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Programmers will understand - Postby anihex » 02 May 2013, 13:35

You got it wrong Devil Jokey ...

I started with a C64 (a computer from 1980s). I started to learn programming since there wasn't any software around anymore. This also was the time when I began to hate the stuff this BASIC had. Especially it's speed was an annoyance. I tried to write a chess game on this thing. It took about 1 minute to check if my move was legit. Let alone analyzing a complete board!

Then I moved to Amiga and used it "Amiga BASIC". This was _way_ better. It got functions and no need for line numbers anymore.
But it was still as slow as hell. Even thought the CPU itself was way faster than the C64.

After that, I moved to a regular computer. A slow 486s, but better than C64 and Amiga together. Unlike Amiga or C64 there was no language packaged with it and I had to look around.
I tried MSVCPP. I wanted a simple window with a title. The "template" for this contained over 5 files with over 100 lines of code each.
Since I didn't get anything in this code, I gave up on C++ and - for a short while - even on programming.
But I was lucky. My dad bought a magazine which contained a DVD with several tools and stuff. And there also were several programming languages. "Profan", "PureBasic", "BlitzBasic" and Delphi.
I tried them all. "Profan" was too weird IMHO. "PureBasic" and "BlitzBasic" didn't had much of "BASIC" left. So I tried Delphi.
And guess what: I found joy in programming once again. It was easy - at least way easier than C++ - fast and the help function was quite good.
I fell in love with this language, especially 'cuz it's way cleaner than C++ or BASIC.
There never was a need to write stuff like
Code: Select all
#ifndef __AWSOME_HEADER_OF_ANIHEX__
#define __AWSOME_HEADER_OF_ANIHEX__

// Stuff to add~

#endif

And what's more: Unlike languages like "Profan" etc. you can do everything with Delphi that you can do with C++. Now I'm on Linux and since "Delphi" is "Windows Only" (Kylix was dropped long ago!).
But luckily there are "Lazarus" and "FreePASCAL". Now I don't care about C++ anymore. You should give it a try maybe.
As easy as VisualBASIC (not VisualBASIC.net!) and way more powerfull.

Return to Spam