Board index Downloads Audio / Video ]

Increasing bitrate of mp3

Author

Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 05 Aug 2009, 18:59

I have an mp3 with 128kb I'd like to increase it to 192 or 256 if possible.. any ideas? I realise that it might go against the quality of the mp3 but I'd still like to know how it can be done.

Edit: The problem with the mp3 is that it's too quiet. I'd like to increase its maximum volume.

Tidus
OWNAGE
OWNAGE

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby Tidus » 05 Aug 2009, 19:14

"JC! JC! the net's going, the nets going black! JC! No more youtube, no more facebooks of any kind, we will start over, use command lines, if you get this then FIND US! FIND US!"

Albert Einstein once said: "Technical progress is like an ax in the hands of a pathological criminal."
Kuchcik
Teh gravn00b
Teh gravn00b

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby Kuchcik » 05 Aug 2009, 19:15

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:I have an mp3 with 128kb I'd like to increase it to 192 or 256 if possible.. any ideas? I realise that it might go against the quality of the mp3 but I'd still like to know how it can be done.

Edit: The problem with the mp3 is that it's too quiet. I'd like to increase its maximum volume.

Audacity.

Google it. It has all the metabolic end product.

Increasing the bitrate is illogical, the best way to increase the quality is to get a hold of the original CD and do a rip yourself.

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 05 Aug 2009, 19:17

Thanks for the quick response guys, i'll try out these things

Kothar
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby Kothar » 06 Aug 2009, 01:49

i agree with kuchcik, you can't truly increase the bitrate, it can be decreased but not increased without losing a lot of quality.

"Without deviation progress is not possible"

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Y U GUIZ ALWAYYS KILL TEH HOOKERS IN MY BASE???!!
~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 06 Aug 2009, 10:40

When increasing the bitrate you don't loose quality.. it just might not become better.. :?

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
Kothar
The Warbeast
The Warbeast

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby Kothar » 06 Aug 2009, 12:21

most people wouldn't notice the quality loss but it is there, making it pointless to increase the bit rate. the original bit rate that you get from the first rip is the best quality you can get, because when the bit rate is lowered in the compression process the some of the data is lost. the original bit rate from a CD is 1411.2 kbit/s. that is the best quality and any rips from that CD is going to have a much lower quality but once the quality is lost it can't be regained because the data just isn't there anymore. I don't think bit rate affects the maximum volume, that can be changed im sure but it wouldn't have anything to do with the bit rate, the volume would be the amplitude and i am sure you can find a program that could edit it.

"Without deviation progress is not possible"

~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:Y U GUIZ ALWAYYS KILL TEH HOOKERS IN MY BASE???!!
SPAZ ROFELZ
MOMOMONSTERSPAM
MOMOMONSTERSPAM

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby SPAZ ROFELZ » 06 Aug 2009, 12:46

FLAC

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 06 Aug 2009, 13:49

Kothar wrote:most people wouldn't notice the quality loss but it is there, making it pointless to increase the bit rate. the original bit rate that you get from the first rip is the best quality you can get, because when the bit rate is lowered in the compression process the some of the data is lost. the original bit rate from a CD is 1411.2 kbit/s. that is the best quality and any rips from that CD is going to have a much lower quality but once the quality is lost it can't be regained because the data just isn't there anymore. I don't think bit rate affects the maximum volume, that can be changed im sure but it wouldn't have anything to do with the bit rate, the volume would be the amplitude and i am sure you can find a program that could edit it.

Yes, if you lower the bit rate of something, then it looses quality, of course.
However, I was pointing out that you don't loose even more quality, if you increase the bit rate again, which was questioned here by kothar. :)

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby synthetic » 06 Aug 2009, 15:34

i suppose flac is limited by what kothar said earlier. As far as sound is concerned Im pretty satisfied with 256 or 320 kbps mp3s without feeling any need to fill my hdd with few flac albums.

Although OP has probably came to same conclusion already: re-download better quality or re-rip. :-) I dont really rip below 320kbps quality, and unless stuff is really rare i avoid 128 kbps downloads, because you really really really call tell the difference between that and the 256 kbps one. Variable bit rate can be annoying, but 200-320 VBR is alright. When its 160-256 or so then the lower parts do kind of sting with some songs, or so it seems to me.

SPAZ ROFELZ
MOMOMONSTERSPAM
MOMOMONSTERSPAM

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby SPAZ ROFELZ » 06 Aug 2009, 16:00

At the end of the day alot of people who complain about the quality of their music files do tend to have a shitty sound setup. To be perfectly honest you shouldn't bitch about anything you illegally download.

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby synthetic » 06 Aug 2009, 16:09

well of course you can bitch, you can claw at your beard and pour ash on your head while bitching at yourself and screaming the name of the unspoken prophet. Anyway I believe in buying what you like, especially if you happen to listen to a lot of underground bands, like me.

SPAZ ROFELZ
MOMOMONSTERSPAM
MOMOMONSTERSPAM

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby SPAZ ROFELZ » 06 Aug 2009, 16:11

You believe in buying music but you just can't buy the music you want ehhh? Lol

synthetic
Seraphic/8X
Seraphic/8X

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby synthetic » 06 Aug 2009, 16:17

music has different meaning to different people. there are people who dont listen music, there are people who dont choose what they listen, and then there are people that listen only chosen music.

To these different groups the piracy/shopping pattern is applied differently. Those who listen everything wont have much bad luck or hesitation when buying stuff, unless they belong to the category that does not want to, under any circumstances, pay for anything they can download (which actually makes of a pretty large chunk of the downloaders).

When I say I buy what I like I mean I am part of the group that downloads the music they have carefully selected, and then buys it after giving it a listen.

Anyway, music piracy was doing just fine even before the internet, so there.

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: Increasing bitrate of mp3 - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 06 Aug 2009, 17:23

I didn't rip this mp3 and I don't have the original file either. This is the only one I could find only internet and I need it to be louder than it is.

Return to Audio / Video