Board index Downloads Deus Ex Maps ]

DXMP_StrangeDocks

Author
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Chees » 09 Mar 2012, 23:32

I like this map very much as it differs from the smaller maps like snow and dust. I would like to see both day and night versions for comparison reasons. and will also point out the Radii of the boats and a few other objects is extremely annoying and unreal when trying to sniper players especially on the open dock spawn area.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby ShadowRunner » 10 Mar 2012, 14:24

Good point, the collision here and there could be tweaked.

I like the map's terrain, being able to swim under the dock and surprise or hide from people is good.

chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby chin.democ. » 10 Mar 2012, 16:45

Collision is such a pain, I'm working on a map which has a couple of vans and the collision is terrible, the picture below shows how DX's collision works. The single collision cylinder is wide enough to stop you going through the front and rear sections of the van, however because the collision cylinder is perfectly round and not elliptical it also means the collision extends beyond the van's mesh at the sides.

I think the best solution would be to add lots of playerblocks around the vehicle in question and reduce the playerblocks radius if needed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 11 Mar 2012, 18:56

I'm thinking about deleting or reducing warpzones, they look cool, but buggy and reduces the performance

deadmau5 is Canada's apology for Justin Bieber!!
Majster
Virtue/4E
Virtue/4E

Nationality:
Poland

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby Majster » 11 Mar 2012, 19:25

[FGS]Kalman wrote:Fuuu, I really don't know what could I do. Half of players said smaller and nighttime version, another half said big and daytime

Decisively big and daytime. :-D I love maps like HillsV2, Sniper box, Area51 - big room and awesome sniper fights! 8-) StrangeDocks is very good map currently and doesn't need big changes.

ShadowRunner wrote:There's paranoia and anger everywhere about fps, people are taking 0a FAR too seriously, liven the game up and make it more fun for EVERYONE. (and me and Chees lol)
[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 11 Mar 2012, 19:49

I think I'll make two versions, a big daytime, and a smaller nightime

Morrisonsfweb
BUG
BUG

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby Morrisonsfweb » 12 Mar 2012, 11:02

Great info and admirable links, i really appreciate your post keep up the good work. Awesome share indeed. I’ve been awaiting for this update.

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 12 Mar 2012, 15:48

OMG spambot loves my map :oops:

-Majin-
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby -Majin- » 12 Mar 2012, 23:08

Love the map.. Especially great for a long range sniping battle on all sides.. By the way is it just me or you can't water bug no more?

[FGS]Chees
Cherub/7H
Cherub/7H

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Chees » 12 Mar 2012, 23:31

This is just an idea Kalman. Any chance if edited we could get on top of the main building roof (with very limited space to camp)? so players have a higher point to sniper from as an advantage point other than the crane. maybe link the crane as secondary access to the roof as well. so it's not %95 ground level combat.

Just an idea.
Apart from the radii i wouldn't change much at all tbh. Like this map lots :D

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 13 Mar 2012, 06:47

Ye, I already made the roof, I need to deco it only

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby ShadowRunner » 13 Mar 2012, 15:35

-Majin- wrote:Love the map.. Especially great for a long range sniping battle on all sides.. By the way is it just me or you can't water bug no more?

Good question, when chasing a player who goes underwater, you could still accidentally waterbug with weps like pulse rifle on altfire, but I haven't tried it since ANNA.

MiniMTL prevents you from planting grenades in water.

@ Kalman, I saw your requests for suggestions.

1. Only one thing annoys me about the map and it's quite a big annoyance. If I move through the crane window onto the platform of the crane, I can not get back in. It's really a player bug, player is stuck and only way to continue in the level is to jump and die. It's basically "bad" level design that gives a negative experience, you invite the player to step through the window, there are crates, but we become stuck and have to suicide or jump-suicide. Either fix or make a "Warning: Do not step outside" sign. The simple solution is just retexture the front wall of the mover with brown ladder texture, or make a ladder texture, then it will be possible to step in and out of the crane window. Another solution would be rebuild the shape of the front wall so it is stepped. Another solution would be make more windows, but make them lower. Another solution is make them smaller, so we can't step outside anyway.

2. The structure of the crane, especially the legs, could be using finer brush detail, some detail in the crane legs. But not so much that it imbalances the map and causes an fps drop. The crane could offer the player a better view outside, more windows.
An ammo crate or medkit inside the crane. Fool me into camping there and give me some reward for getting up there in one piece.

3. At the shoreline, the water's edge, there could be more cover for people exiting the water. Fences, crates, anything.

4. I would love to be on that roof. Put a ammo crate there or a sniper rifle, but no medkits.

5. Inside the hangar I suggest having walkways halfway up the sides of the walls like this... or check out a map called GODZ_HangarStorage or GODZ_Storage. This was one of the better fight maps on GODZ, it had a tower and a hut inside a warehouse, you could climb up to gallerys and walkways which went around the edges of the hangar inside. With your map, this could continue outside as fire escapes. Some galleries or walkways around the inside edge, about halfway up the wall maybe.
This isn't a good example, but it gives you an idea
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Warehouse_3,82
It also allows you to make the structure more realistic. In reality your warehouse would collapse, there's no internal supports and the roof supports the weight of massive platforms/teleport area

-Majin-
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby -Majin- » 13 Mar 2012, 17:23

Yea but I'm wondering if you could water bug in that map.. I tried and it won't let me. And I used to be real good at it in godz server.. Forgot what the map was called..

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 13 Mar 2012, 18:26

ShadowRunner wrote:1. Only one thing annoys me about the map and it's quite a big annoyance. If I move through the crane window onto the platform of the crane, I can not get back in. It's really a player bug, player is stuck and only way to continue in the level is to jump and die. It's basically "bad" level design that gives a negative experience, you invite the player to step through the window, there are crates, but we become stuck and have to suicide or jump-suicide. Either fix or make a "Warning: Do not step outside" sign. The simple solution is just retexture the front wall of the mover with brown ladder texture, or make a ladder texture, then it will be possible to step in and out of the crane window. Another solution would be rebuild the shape of the front wall so it is stepped. Another solution would be make more windows, but make them lower. Another solution is make them smaller, so we can't step outside anyway.

I already tried ladder textures on mover, but they don't work (I think because it's a mover)
ShadowRunner wrote:2. The structure of the crane, especially the legs, could be using finer brush detail, some detail in the crane legs. But not so much that it imbalances the map and causes an fps drop. The crane could offer the player a better view outside, more windows.
An ammo crate or medkit inside the crane. Fool me into camping there and give me some reward for getting up there in one piece.

I placed two more windows, I hope it's enough. I'll add more details, or I think I completely remake the legs, the base is completed, I have to try to play with the details only
ShadowRunner wrote:3. At the shoreline, the water's edge, there could be more cover for people exiting the water. Fences, crates, anything.

You meant at the crane? Or at the containers? I placed some more containers, as chinny suggested
ShadowRunner wrote:4. I would love to be on that roof. Put a ammo crate there or a sniper rifle, but no medkits.

Did you see that doorway at the interior spawn? It's blocked with wood planks
That leads to the roof, but I didn't have time to complete it, when I sent it to chinny
It's completed now
Sadly, I had to delete the warpzones, so if you try to climb up on the crates, the ceiling will block you. It will give +20 fps for the players, but the map isn't "strange" anymore
I'll make galleries or walkways later, when I arrive home

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: DXMP_StrangeDocks - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 13 Mar 2012, 20:19

A video about the map, almost complete for the next beta release: http://www.xfire.com/video/556729/

Return to Maps