Board index Games... Mods... Multiplayer! Deus Ex Questions about DeusEx ]

Server Requirements

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Server Requirements - Postby TheWolf » 11 Aug 2012, 21:02

What are some specs to host a stable server?

Ingame: Sev
~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~

Re: Server Requirements - Postby ~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ » 11 Aug 2012, 21:47

Are you asking about hardware? That would be a machine that doesn't overheat when not being turned off for months with the capability to run DX smoothly. It doesn't need to be particularly modern as DX is an old game, but it does neet to be stable and reliable if that makes sense. What's more important is the internet connection, it needs to come with a high upload rate and you'd need to make sure that the machine is constantly connected. If the server loses connection, dx needs to reboot which can sometimes be difficult. Most of the reliable DX servers are hosted via rental services such as gamingdeluxe or gamesmajor, they offer quality servers for a considerable price. Ask Shadowrunner for details, he's usually well informed about this stuff.

Of course the requirements always depend on the purpose of your server. I have hosted DXMP servers with my home computer to test maps. Although it was great for maptests, the pings for the clients were ranging between 200-300, sometimes more. If you are intending to host a combat server, using your own computer wouldn't be a good idea, unless it meets the requirements I talked about earlier.

TheWolf
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Canada

Re: Server Requirements - Postby TheWolf » 12 Aug 2012, 21:11

I'm looking at some VPSs so yeah I gotta get one that meets requirements.

Ingame: Sev

Return to Questions about DeusEx