Board index FGS Off-topic ]

Mapping difficulties.

Author
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Mapping difficulties. - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 17 Feb 2013, 00:47

At the end of my progress with the SG maps I just worked in the 3D wireframe "perspective" view to avoid repetitive crashes.
And yes.. making those triangles semi.solid might help, though.

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!
Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Some good news for a change! - Postby Whiplash » 18 Feb 2013, 05:29

For a change, I'm not complaining about things crashing (though I would be entitled to do, it must get boring to read :alc: )

but I just found something seriously cool.

If you're working on, for example, a day time map where there needs to be lots of light everywhere, you don't need to place boatloads of lights everywhere that will probably just crash everything.

Instead, both Level Properties (if you're not using Zone Info objects which you should for MP) and Zone Info objects have an AmbientLighting section which you can use to set lighting levels throughout an entire zone, if not the whole map!

This affects my Greenwich project quite considerably because the majority of the map is needed to be super bright - which it now is - I just have to lay down new zone boundaries to rope off underground areas and whatnot that are the exceptions to the rule. All told, I might not need many/if any Light actors and the positive implications of that are enormous. \:D/

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: Mapping difficulties. - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 18 Feb 2013, 07:52

AmbientLighting is cool, but it doesn't cast any shadow :ney:

deadmau5 is Canada's apology for Justin Bieber!!
chin.democ.
chinny!
chinny!

Nationality:
Great Britain

Re: Mapping difficulties. - Postby chin.democ. » 18 Feb 2013, 12:54

As Kalman said there's no shadows which is a big draw back when it comes to making a piece of expressionate art. I have made some maps converted from nightime to daytime http://www.deusexonline.com/day-versions-of-bound-dressing-room-mini-dust-pool-snow-t92.html for Bam's mod idea (which never got finished, Bam strikes again! :bwahaha: ) you should really have dark faces of brushes which I think is a cool touch.

For large RPG maps zone lighting is invaluable to keep down meggage, however I'm supertempted to use normal light actors for Hengsha City RPG. :-k

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Some good news for a change! - Postby ShadowRunner » 21 Feb 2013, 23:33

Whiplash wrote:but I just found something seriously cool.
\:D/

Yes but totally pointless because it is like many other games.

DX has a "unique" subtractive lighting system. I know I went through a phase of using zone light, but I never will use it again ever, from now I am only ever going to use this subtractive lighting system.

If you don't, there's no way your map will feel truly DX.

Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Mapping difficulties. - Postby Whiplash » 22 Feb 2013, 01:07

Subtractive lighting? I may want to know more, but given how much trouble I've had with light objects, zone lighting (especially for bright/daytime maps) seems to make sense for the bulk of lighting needs). As for Greenwich, even with the zonal lighting I'm having trouble with adding light objects, so now it's just going to be all zone lighting with light decorations (lightbulbs, cagelights, lamps etc).

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Mapping difficulties. - Postby ShadowRunner » 22 Feb 2013, 02:23

If you follow our tips, you should have no trouble at all, so I'm wondering what trouble you are having.

~][FGS][Nobody~
Illuminated
Illuminated

Nationality:
Germany

Re: Mapping difficulties. - Postby ~][FGS][Nobody~ » 22 Feb 2013, 12:08

And I'm wondering what subtractive lightning is supposed to be. :o
My onl idea of this would be a general zone-illuminated map with smaller separated zone which have less light. :-k

Nobody is perfect...
-----------------------
ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.

Magus wrote:Maybe one day I will understand your arcane rituals of voting :)

chin.democ. wrote:You can use light bulbs that emit light, and when shot, do not.

synthetic wrote:and while every person is interesting in their own unique ways, there is some degree of uniqueness that a doctor can help with.

~ô¿ô~][FGS][Nobody~ said: THERE IS NO SPOON!
~¤¥ÐJ¥¤~ said: THERE IS NO CAKE!

Return to FGS Off-topic