Bugs and "cheats"

Author
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Bugs and "cheats" - Postby Whiplash » 11 Jan 2013, 20:51

Hi guys;

I'm paying more attention to whats going on in DX right now, and while I try to play fair and honest (though I have used bugs from time to time), I've been reading a lot about bug abuse, in particular advantages of sky high FPS rates. Before that I was aware of grenade jumping, see people doing it all the time but I don't know how to do it myself (no interest in it).

But even if I don't want to cheat, from what I've read (and seen) there are some things that are just accepted as part of the game. So this topic is to talk - frankly - about all the bugs out there to be abused.

So far, I know of two:
- FPS abuse: I know of it but I'm not fully up to speed on the benefits of it.
- Grenade jumping. Don't like it, but seeing all the idiots abusing it I think I need to ditch the high moral ground.
Any others?

I'd also be interested in good 0 aug binds, esp sniper binds, which I suspect are in use by some.

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby Mastakilla » 11 Jan 2013, 21:21

There was a time where it was a sport to get a high FPS as possible, and even people complaining about it now played a part in it. A higher FPS was believed to allow you to react quicker and just play smoother, serious competitive players will ofcourse want every advantage they can get without crossing a line (cheating, bugging)

However it seems that with the more advanced technology a certain treshold was crossed and the game gives you funny advantages, like a faster then normal reload time (noticeably bad with sniper rifles) and faster then normal shottime, noticeably so, it's not a 1% increase in speed or even a 10% increase, it can sometimes be double or worse for people with serious gaming riggs...

Another bug that's not too serious is getting a full clip after swapping weapons on certain weapons, most common ofcourse with assault rifles. This is not as hated as the FPS thing because "anyone can do it" but still, higher FPS = Faster swapping = Swap back and forth to reload gets even worse?

If you've got an FPS of about 200, don't feel too bad. I feel that an FPS like that should be pretty common for an old game like DX. If you're getting well into the 300-350s or even higher, you might want to cap it lower because you might be getting an unfair advantage.

ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby ShadowRunner » 11 Jan 2013, 22:22

I do reload bug and have never questioned it, because in GODZserver, everyone told me this is how you play MP.

Few people EMP jumping these days? This is mainly because it's pointless in most 0-aug maps atm, maybe Chin removed emp on minidust for this reason? It's in Pool tho.

I used to dislike it, it's sometimes used to get past newbie defences into buildings and that's wrong and dangerous, newbie will assume hax. I like planting on floors, but I stopped for this same reason. There's always some idiot who posts bugs in shoutboxes or gives around msn etc.

You can't control people 100%, or stop people bugging 100%, but you can teach players how to survive a game, what reload bugging is, dualmapping and stuff which we as a community seeking new players, are absolutely mental not to be giving first-time players. That augged server which used the infolink was really the answer. EDH? Maybe the conversation boxes could flash helpful stuff instead of hogging the infolink and player has option to turn off convo guides or not.

The main reason for bugging or telling a bug perhaps is because players assume it is common knowledge.

[FGS]Kalman
Throne/6G
Throne/6G

Nationality:
Hungary

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby [FGS]Kalman » 12 Jan 2013, 17:46

It's possible to set max FPS somehow (I got it at 75, but I don't know how I did it)
About grenade jumping, it's really annoying, and I can't learn it

deadmau5 is Canada's apology for Justin Bieber!!
Cozmo
Power/3D
Power/3D

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby Cozmo » 12 Jan 2013, 23:01

Why do people hate nade jumping? We're at a huge disadvantage while we do it - we have to hold an EMP instead of a weapon and stare at the floor for a few seconds. Using it to get out of maps into unlit areas for sniping is pretty homosexual, but 99% of the time people use it for shortcuts and getting behind campers.

CDX - A huge Deus Ex Multiplayer patch
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A great tool for creating co-op or rpg content. It will never be used.
Mastakilla
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!
!Lysergsäurediethylamid!

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby Mastakilla » 13 Jan 2013, 00:18

Cozmo wrote:Why do people hate nade jumping? We're at a huge disadvantage while we do it - we have to hold an EMP instead of a weapon and stare at the floor for a few seconds. Using it to get out of maps into unlit areas for sniping is pretty homosexual, but 99% of the time people use it for shortcuts and getting behind campers.

They hate it because it's awesome and they can't do it :-D

It's like hating Justin Bieber

~DJ~
Teh 1337'
Teh 1337'

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby ~DJ~ » 13 Jan 2013, 03:28

wooooooooo yay JB rullllezz!

like oh my goddddddddddddddd so sexxxyyyyyyyyy

That Resident Evil Mod
————
~][FGS][Nobody~ wrote:DONT SEARCH WORDS ON GOOGLE WITHOUT TINKING

~[FGS]SaSQuATcH~ wrote:you+serious=error

chin.democ. wrote:It's just what you're doing with your right hand that worries me....
Whiplash
Principality/2C
Principality/2C

Nationality:
Ireland

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby Whiplash » 13 Jan 2013, 16:38

Cozmo wrote:getting behind campers.
Camping is not cheating. Grenade jumping is.

Set Yo Ass On FIRE :mofu:
ShadowRunner
It's over 5000!
It's over 5000!

Nationality:
Japan

Re: Bugs and "cheats" - Postby ShadowRunner » 14 Jan 2013, 12:04

Mastakilla wrote:
Cozmo wrote:Why do people hate nade jumping? We're at a huge disadvantage while we do it - we have to hold an EMP instead of a weapon and stare at the floor for a few seconds. Using it to get out of maps into unlit areas for sniping is pretty homosexual, but 99% of the time people use it for shortcuts and getting behind campers.

They hate it because it's awesome and they can't do it :-D

It's like hating Justin Bieber

it is true to say camping is not bugging, but emp jumping their back door is.
Also as stated, it is used to get behind unskilled people that could have been killed via front door easily.

Yesterday someone didn't like my gas traps and complained, instead of having a flipping emp to disable them. It's the same mentality with emp jumpers, they are trying to avoid turrets, grenade traps etc.
Same with the emp jumpers, use emp normally, bring back-up, or use gas, but bust that front door like men.

If emp jumpers were complete newbs, using it to get past skilled camper, fair enough, but in fact the opposite is happening. Skilled players are bugging the game, to beat less skilled players defences. Hard to approve of this. I wouldn't ban emp jumps, but where it is used to get into comm on A51 etc, to kill a newb, is perhaps debatable.

Return to FGS Off-topic